Last modified: 16 Nov 2016 17:59
This course is for students studying MSc Subsea Engineering. The aim is to provide knowledge of materials engineering and selection, and failure and degradation issues in a subsea environment, including life cycle analysis; to provide knowledge for understanding and applying the relevant design standards and selection guidelines; and to provide a detailed understanding related to fault finding and integrity management. Fundamental studies are combined with industry applications.
· Principles of materials selection
· Materials and component qualification: design standards and testing/acceptance regimes
· Degradation processes – corrosion, erosion, stress corrosion
· Failure processes – fracture and fatigue
· Inspection techniques
· Integrity management procedures
|Session||First Sub Session||Credit Points||15 credits (7.5 ECTS credits)|
This course provides a detailed understanding of design considerations for components to be used in subsea environments, especially in terms of materials selection, qualification, standards and testing. Reasons for failure and the application of failure analysis in design will be studied.
This is the total time spent in lectures, tutorials and other class teaching.