Last modified: 28 Jun 2018 10:27
|Session||First Sub Session||Credit Points||15 credits (7.5 ECTS credits)|
1. Motivation: definitions. Achievement motivation. The need for achievement. How achievement can guide performance. Intrinsic motivation, extrinsic motivation. Factors which can effect and increase motivation. Factors which can impede motivation. Gender differences.
2. Attitudes. The formation of attitudes. Attitudes and behaviour. Measuring attitudes. Changing attitudes. Stereotyping and discrimination in sport. Female athletes. Black athletes.
3. Arousal. Measuring arousal. Drive theory and the inverted 'U' hypothesis. Anxiety alleviation. Cognitive interventions.
4. Adherence to Exercise Programmes. Limitations. Strategies to improve adherence.
5. Sports Injuries: psychological factors which influence susceptibility to injury and recovery from injury. The role of life events, stress, coping mechanisms. Remaining motivated, injury rehabilitation
Information on contact teaching time is available from the course guide.
1st Attempt: 1 one and a half-hour essay examination (70%) and in-course assessment (essay 3,000 words) (30%).
Resit: 1 one and a half-hour essay examination (70%) and previous in-course assessment (essay) (30%).
Formative Essay 3,000 words. review of journal article, oral presentation of review with question and answer session.