The course explores the fundamental biological processes of genetics and evolution. Evolution is unified by the concept of continual change at the phenotypic level, underpinned by genetic changes of different kinds at the molecular level. The content of the course draws on material at all levels of complexity from the molecular, to the whole organism, to the population. There is a balance between molecular and organismal biology, and broader issues such as human population history.
- The key genetic and evolutionary concepts
- Evolution at the gene level
- Evolution at the genome level
- Evolution at the organism level
- Evolution at the population level and the origin of species
- Macroevolution (evolution of major organism groups)