Professor Euan Phimister
The University of Aberdeen
Chair in Economics
+44 (0)1224 273855
Room F75 Edward Wright Building
Chair in Economics
Current CV phimister-cv-nov2012.pdf
Aberdeen Centre for Research in Energy Economics and Finance (ACREEF) www.abdn.ac.uk/research/acreef/
Euan became a member of staff at Aberdeen in 1996, after spending a number of years as a lecturer at the University of Manchester in the School of Economics. He has held visiting positions at INRA, Rennes and at the Agricultural Economics Institute in the Hague.
Agricultural and Energy Economics, (Econometric analysis of (farm) household behaviour and markets, Economic Modelling of Energy Networks, Policy Impacts on the Wider Economy, Energy Access, Demand and Poverty)
Current ongoing research includes exploration of issues around third party access to existing infrastructure in the UKCS (with Alex Kemp and Linda Stephen) and in Carbon Capture and Storage networks (with Alfiya Kazikhanova -PhD student), evaluation of the impact of new investment in renewables on the North East Scotland Economy (with Deborah Roberts), energy poverty (with Espe Vera-Toscano) access to electricity in Ghana (with Yakubu Abdulsalam - PhD student), the vegetable oils market in South East Asia (with Rohitha Abayasekara - PhD student), econometric analysis of impact of safety regulation changes in the UKCS (with Theo Acheampong - PhD Student) .
BU5028 Introduction to Corporate Finance. BU5562 Empirical Methods in Energy Economics
Member of REF2014 Agriculture sub-panel. External Editor Journal of Agricultural Economics
Programme Director of MSc Petroleum, Energy Economics & Finance. University of Aberdeen member, Management Group, Offshore Renewables Institute http://offshorerenewables.ac.uk/.
Working Papers and Discussion Papers
- Kemp, AG. & Phimister, E. (2010). 'Economic Principles and Determination of Infrastructure Third Party Tariffs in the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS)'. North Sea Study Occaisional Paper, vol. 116, University of Aberdeen Department of Economics, Aberdeen, United Kingdom, pp. 1-26.
[Online] AURA: Kemp_North_Sea_Study_Occaisional_Paper_No_116.doc
Contributions to Journals
- Monchuk, DC., Kilkenny, M. & Phimister, EC. (2013). 'Rural Homeownership and Labour Mobility in the United States'. Regional Studies.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2012.661850
- Phimister, E. & Roberts, D. (2012). 'The role of ownership in determining the rural economic benefits of on-shore wind farms'. Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol 63, no. 2, pp. 331-360.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2012.00336.x
- Phimister, E. & Theodossiou, I. (2009). 'Gender differences in low pay labour mobility and the national minimum wage'. Oxford Economic Papers, vol 61, no. Suppl. 1, pp. i122-i146.
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/oep/gpn045
- Regier, DA., Ryan, M., Phimister, E. & Marra, CA. (2009). 'Bayesian and classical estimation of mixed logit: An application to genetic testing'. Journal of Health Economics, vol 28, no. 3, pp. 598-610.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.jhealeco.2008.11.003
- Battu, H., Ma, A. & Phimister, E. (2008). 'Housing Tenure, Job Mobility and Unemployment in the UK'. Economic Journal, vol 118, no. 527, pp. 311-328.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2007.02122.x
- Phimister, EC. & Roberts, DJ. (2006). 'The Effect of Off-farm Work on the Intensity of Agricultural Production'. Environmental and Resource Economics, vol 34, no. 4, pp. 493-515.
[Online] DOI: 10.1007/s10640-006-0012-1
- Phimister, E., Theodossiou, L. & Upward, R. (2006). 'Is it easier to escape from low pay in urban areas? Evidence from the United Kingdom'. Environment and Planning A, vol 38, no. 4, pp. 693-710.
[Online] DOI: 10.1068/a37297
- Phimister, EC. (2005). 'Urban Effects on Participation and Wages: Are there Gender Differences'. Journal of Urban Economics, vol 58, no. 3, pp. 513-536.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.jue.2005.08.006
- Phimister, EC., Roberts, DJ. & Gilbert, A. (2004). 'The Dynamics of Farm Incomes in Scotland: Panel data analysis using the Farm Accounts Survey'. Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol 55, no. 2, pp. 197-220.
- Vera-Toscano, E., Phimister, EC. & Weersink, A. (2004). 'Short-Term Employment Transitions in the Canadian Labour Force: Rural-Urban Difference in Underemployment'. Agricultural Economics, vol 30, no. 2, pp. 129-142.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.agecon.2003.11.017
- Theodossiou, I., Gilbert, A. & Phimister, EC. (2003). 'Low Pay and Income In Urban and Rural Areas: Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey'. Urban Studies, vol 40, no. 7, pp. 1207-1222.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/0042098032000084569
- Kidd, M., Phimister, EC. & Ferko, I. (2003). 'Are Employment Effects of Gender Discrimination important? Some evidence from Great Britain'. The Manchester School, vol 71, no. 6, pp. 593-610.
[Online] DOI: 10.1046/j.1467-9957.2003.00368.x
- Phimister, EC., Vera-Toscano, E. & Weersink, A. (2002). 'Female Participation and labor market attachment in Rural Canada'. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol 84, no. 1, pp. 210-221.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/1467-8276.00253
- Benjamin, C. & Phimister, EC. (2002). 'Does capital market structure affect farm investment? A comparison using French and British farm level panel data'. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol 84, no. 4, pp. 1115-1129.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/1467-8276.00372
- Benjamin, C. & Phimister, EC. (2001). 'Imperfection du marché du capital et investissement des exploitations agricoles'. l'Actualité économique, vol 77, no. 3, pp. 1-28.
- Gilbert, A., Phimister, EC. & Theodossiou, I. (2001). 'The Potential Impact of the Minimum Wage in Rural Areas'. Regional Studies, vol 35, no. 8, pp. 765-770.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/00343400120084759
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Battu, H., Ma, A. & Phimister, E. (2009). 'Family Migration and Labour Market Outcomes: A Panel Investigation'. in C Van Ewijk & M Van Leuvensteijn (eds), Home Ownership and The Labour Market in Europe. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 225-248.
- Battu, H., Gerova, V. & Phimister, EC. (2004). 'Residential Mobility: A Comparsion Of England and Scotland'. in In: Living In Scotland: Findings from the British Household Panel Survey (eds. Ermisch,J. F.;Wright,R. E) Policy Press. In: Living In Scotland: Findings from the British Household Panel Survey (eds. Ermisch,J. F.;Wright,R. E) Policy Press.
- Phimister, EC. & Roberts, DJ. 'The role of ownership in determining the rural economic benefits of on-shore wind farms: A CGE analysis'. in 2011 Agricultural Economics Society Conference, Warwick, UK.. Agricultural Economics Society Conference, Warwick, United Kingdom, 18 April.
- Psaltopoulos, D., Phimister, EC., Ratinger, T., Roberts, DJ., Skuras, D., Espinosa, M., Balamou, E., Gomez Y Paloma, S., Santini, F. & Mary, S. 'An Ex-Ante Rural/Urban Analysis of CAP'. in EAAE 2011 Congress, Zurich. The XIIIth Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists, EAAE, Zurich, Switzerland, 30-2 September.
Books and Reports
- Miulu, T., Gilbert, A., Phimister, EC. & Shucksmith, M. (2002). The Changing Rural Context. Unknown Publisher, In: Young People in Rural Areas of Europe (eds. Jentsch,B;Shucksmith,M), Ashgate Publishing.
- Pouliakas, K., Phimister, EC., Roberts, DJ., Thomson, K., balamou, E., Psaltopoulos, D., Hyytia, NKJ. & galassi, F. (2008). Territorial Aspects of Enterprise Development in Remote Rural Areas: Application and results of CGE analyses (comparative analysis).
- Phimister, EC., Roberts, DJ., Ververidis, K. & Young-Smith, L. (2007). Territorial aspects of Enterprise Development in Remote Rural Areas: Design of CGE Model.
update | about Staff Pages