- USS under attack: vote YES to defend pensions
Please vote in the UCU e-ballot. We’re asking if members would be prepared to take industrial action, to give us the pressure we need in negotiations. The current scheme benefit levels require contributions some 6.6% of pay higher than at present. More here. UCU national office sent out an email with your personal voting link last week. If you cannot find it in your inbox, please check the junk folder as UCU emails sometimes get diverted. If you still cannot find it, you can request another copy here.
LOOK OUT FOR NOTICE OF A LOCAL MEETING NEXT WEEK ON THE USS NEGOTIATIONS!
- Finding a better way – an important update from Aberdeen UCU: Please look out for an email with this wording in the subject line – this email was sent out on Thu 05 October and contains important feedback for members on pressing local issues including the Professional Services Review, the working abroad clause in your Terms & Conditions and the £5.6 million staff savings target.
- Performance Night for Free Education:Aberdeen Student Left and Aberdeen English Literature Society invite you to attend a Performance Night for Free Education at 8pm on Tuesday 17 October, held at Spin Aberdeen, 10 Littlejohn Street, Aberdeen.The Facebook event details and further info can be found here:https://www.facebook.com/events/522287428103687/
- What Next for Higher Education? A UCU Scotland conference, 26 October at the University of Strathclyde
UCU Scotland are holding a conference on Thursday 26 October 2017 at the University of Strathclyde with speakers including Professor John Holmwood from the Campaign for the Public University, Jodie Waite from NUS Scotland, and Professor Terence Karran author of Academic Freedom in the UK. Themes for the conference will include governance, funding, widening access and promoting academic freedom. Places are free for UCU members but spaces are becoming limited. To register for the conference use this link. (As getting to Glasgow in time for the start of the conference is tricky from Aberdeen, UCU Scotland may be able to offer assistance with accommodation costs for the night before – contact UCUS for more information)
- UCU Equalities Conference - UCU's annual equality conference combines a joint equality conference for black, LGBT+, disabled and women members as well as dedicated sessions for the four constituencies, joint sessions, various workshops and guest speakers. It takes place in Birmingham from Thursday 23 November - Saturday 25 November. Registration deadline is Thursday 26 October so if you are interested in attending this event on behalf of the Aberdeen branch, let Susan in the office know!
University & College Union
C18 Taylor Building
University of Aberdeen