GENERAL MEETING 15 March
Reminder: General Meeting on Wednesday 15 March, 1pm, New Kings 10
1. GENERAL MEETING: You are invited to attend a General Meeting on Wednesday 15 March, 1pm, New Kings 10 (skype link available for Foresterhill colleagues in Suttie 223). The three main items on the agenda will be:
- Update on Terms & Conditions Review (Intellectual Property Rights for approval – see attached document)
- Nominations for AUCU rep on University Court
- Approval of new Local Rules
2. BREXIT: An Open Meeting on issues arising as a result of BREXIT will be held at 1pm – 2pm on Wednesday 29 March in NK10.
With the UK’s future relationship with the EU uncertain following the referendum on EU membership, the post-school education sector faces a period of considerable economic and political uncertainty for students, staff, and management. UCU has launched a national campaign (We Are International) and the local branch is working on a joint position with the University of Aberdeen. We will work together to protect the interests of our international staff and will offer advice and support to those facing uncertainty over their future in the UK.
If there are any specific issues not covered in the following FAQ resources that you would like raised at the meeting, please contact the branch office to let us know. The University has produced a comprehensive list of FAQs and there is also additional advice/information on the UCU website. The following organisations are also maintaining webpages of information in relation to the implications of ‘Brexit’ for Higher Education:
UCU is pleased to have teamed up with Bindmans LLP, a law firm with a national reputation for its immigration law team and members can access legal advice from them (NOTE: this service is only available to members of UCU.
3. PUBLIC EVENT:EU Citizens in the UK: Understanding Your Rights & Options on Friday 17 March, 6:00-7:30pm, Seaton Primary School, Seaton Place East, Aberdeen AB24 1XE
A presentation by a solicitor from the Ethnic Minority Law Centre for EU and EEA citizens concerned about their post-Brexit immigration status. Topics will include:
- Your Free Movement Rights
- Other Rights & Entitlements
- Who is Eligible for Permanent Residence?
- How to Apply for a Permanent Residence Certificate
- Routes to British Citizenship
- Costs & Paperwork Requirements for Applications
- Comprehensive Sickness Insurance & Who Needs It
- Registering to Vote
If you wish to attend, please register on: http://eu-postbrexit.eventbrite.co.uk
4. HOLD THE DATE: The AUCU Annual General Meeting will take place at 1pm – 2pm on Wednesday 24 May 2017 in Macrobert 051 (Foresterhill venue for Skype link to be confirmed).