I would like to get involved but...

... I don't know who to ask

Your first port of call should be the AUCU Office. Our administrator, Susan Melvin, will be able to answer your questions and give you some guidance about the sort of things you might be able to help with. The office is in C18, Taylor Building and is open Mondays through to Thursdays 10 am - 1 pm. Susan is contactable at ucu@abdn.ac.uk | 01224 272377. Alternatively, contact any member of the committee - they will be very pleased to hear from you and will be able to answer your questions.

...I don't have any special skills I could offer

You don't need any specific "special skills" - just a bit of time to spare and a willingness to help out. Things that you could help with include:

If behind-the-scenes is more your forte, we always need help publicising local events - poster sticking is particularly important!

...I don't have much time to spare

It all counts! If six people are able to offer us ten minutes each for sticking up posters or distributing leaflets then that's an hour of help we didn't have before. If you let us know how much time you can spare, we'll find something you can help with that fits in with your other commitments. Union reps are entitled, by law, to use a reasonable amount of their working hours to carry out union duties.

...I don't know where to find out what's going on

...I am worried that being seen as an active member might affect how others view me

Feedback from existing active members suggests that others will see you in a different light once you become a more active union member - but in a good way! Union reps are widely respected for their dedication and for the help they give to fellow union members and other members of staff. AUCU has a very good working relationship with the University and there shouldn't be any negative comeback for our active members.

...I would like to help others. Will I need special training?

Not necessarily. If you would like to become a Section/Department Rep we have a series of "How To..." information leaflets that will give you all the basic information you need. You can also get help and support from Susan in the AUCU office or any Committee member. If you want to become a Personal Case Worker or Health & Safety Rep, we recommend that you attend training. UCU and the TUC both offer free specifically targetted training courses. Some courses are available in Aberdeen. You are entitled to time off work to attend trade union training courses.

... I can't find the information I need

If you have a specific enquiry please contact Susan Melvin - ucu@abdn.ac.uk | 01224 272377.