Our online courses cover similar course content as our face to face courses. We have also worked hard to build in many of the interactive features that you would expect from traditional pre-sessional courses. Even though you are unable to physically be in Aberdeen, we are a keen that you learn more about Aberdeen, its university, and what to expect once you have arrived.
Aberdeen Loyalty Discounts
We really appreciate your loyalty to the University of Aberdeen during these difficult times. Therefore, on successful completion of the course, 25% of the PSE course fees will be taken off your degree programme fees. This equates to:
- 10 week PSE - £875 Rebate
- 5 week PSE - £450 Rebate
Helping you once your studies have started
We know that you may need additional support with your studies.
- All PSE students will be eligible for a free 24 hour language course between October and December.
- In addition there will be a range of free in-sessional classes & one to one sessions.
- Which Language certificates can I use to apply for this course?
UKVI & non-UKVI IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, Duolingo . If you have another type of language certificate, please contact the Language Centre.
10-week Pre Sessional English
IELTS TOEFL iBIT PTE Duolingo Overall 5.5 72+ 51 95+ Listening 5.0 15+ 51 Reading 5.5 18+ 51 Writing 5.5 19+ 51 Speaking 5.0 19+ 51
5-week Pre Sessional English
IELTS TOEFL iBIT PTE Duolingo Overall 6.0 78+ 54 100+ Listening 5.5 17+ 51 Reading 5.5 18+ 51 Writing 5.5 19+ 51 Speaking 5.5 20+ 51
- What will I learn on the course?
Developing your academic writing & style
- Organising your ideas
- Showing connections between ideas
- Using nouns & academic vocabulary
- Thinking critically & using evidence to support your ideas
Developing your academic skills:
- Using source materials in your writing
- Putting things in your own words
- Referencing accurately
Collaboration & teamwork
- Making your thinking clear to others
- Developing active listening skills
- Thinking critically & using evidence to carry out tasks
Reading & Listening
- Making your reading & listening more efficient
- Identifying relevant information quickly
- How will I learn?
The course consists of 25 hours of guided tasks, seminar activities, tutorials, collaborative activities and reflective writings
- Weekly tutorials in which you can discuss your progress and get individualized feedback on your work
- Daily collaborative sessions which will be guided by your tutor
- Daily seminars in which you work together with your teacher and other students
- A tutor will be on hand everyday to give you additional individualized support.
- What does a typical week look like?
Time/Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday 9am to 10am Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) Individual Tutorials 10.15am to 11.15am Collaborative session (Live) Collaborative session (Live) Collaborative session (Live) Collaborative session (Live) 11.15am to 12.15pm Tutor support Tutor support Tutor support Tutor support Tutor support Afternoons Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks
- How will I be assessed?
- 55% continuous writing assessment tasks
- 25% interaction & presentation skills
- 20% Engagement & participation
Please note if you enter the course with any skill below 5.5, you will be asked to complete additional assessments to demonstrate that you have reached the required B2 level. You will three opportunities to do this.
- What happens if I have already applied for the pre-session?
Don’t worry we will transfer your application to the online course. Unlike the face to face version, we ask that you pay the full fees prior to the start of the course
- How can I apply for the course?
- Please complete the application form.
- Submit the form to email@example.com along with a copy of your language and certificate, passport and proof of payment. In order for us to process the payment we must receive the full course fees. Please note:
- Please note that you will not be able to change your course, withdraw from the course or receive a refund after the following dates:
- 10 week PSE - Friday 5 June
- 5 week PSE - Friday 10 July
- What are the dates and fees for the course?
Dates Fees 10-week course Monday 29 June to Friday 4 September £3,500 5-week course Monday 3 August to Friday 4 September £1,800
- What should I do if I am a sponsored student?
We require a sponsorship letter which specifies that it is for the University of Aberdeen online pre-sessional course prior to the start of the course.
- When is the last date that I can apply for the course?
We will accept applications 2 weeks before the course starts. However, we cannot guarantee a place on the course and so early applications are recommended.
The deadline for 10 week PSE is Friday 12 June and for 5 week PSE is Friday 17 July.