Aberdeen: Small City, Big Experience
Join us at the University of Aberdeen for an experience you will never forget! Our two-week International Summer School programme combines innovative English Language classes, formal teaching in a range of academic areas, and excursions to some of the most historic and beautiful places in Scotland including castles, beaches, and the exciting cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- About Aberdeen
Aberdeen is located in the northeast of Scotland and is the 3rd largest city in Scotland. It has an ancient history and its beautiful medieval architecture has earned Aberdeen the nickname ‘The Granite City’. However, it is also a very cosmopolitan and modern city, and is known as the energy capital of Europe. Aberdeen is surrounded by incredible countryside, and with an average summer temperature of 22 degrees, is ideal for outdoor activities. This is why the Queen travels to the region every summer to spend her holidays at Balmoral castle – which you will get to visit during your time here!
- About the University of Aberdeen
Founded in 1495, the University of Aberdeen has over 520 years of history and is the 5th oldest University in the UK. The University was named Scottish University of the Year in 2019 and is ranked in the Top 20 in the UK by the Guardian League Table 2021, as well as in the Top 180 in the world by the Times Higher Education Rankings 2021. The Summer School is held at the King’s College Campus – in itself an iconic part of the city.
- International Summer School Programme
Our two-week programme is a great opportunity to experience UK Higher Education first-hand!
Week 1: English language classes
Improve your English language on a specially-constructed course designed to give you the skills needed to study an academic course in English. You will be taught in small groups which means that you will get lots of individual attention from your teacher. We believe in helping you to use the language rather than just learning about it, so that you can make the most of your time in the UK.
Week 2: Academic classes in your chosen discipline
Choose to study a course in one of the following areas: Business & Law, Engineering, or Geosciences. This week will give you the opportunity to learn from leading professors and to experience what studying in Scotland is really like.
You also have the opportunity to explore the best that Scotland has to offer on afternoon and weekend excursions. Visit some of the country’s most famous castles, enjoy local cuisine at an afternoon tea, learn traditional Scottish dancing or ‘Ceilidh’, take a walking tour around Edinburgh and much more! Our Summer School programme will show you the exciting history, culture, and nature of Scotland, and will be a truly unique experience!
In previous years, our excursions have included the following:
- Edinburgh – We will take you on a walking tour of the famous city of Edinburgh. Spend the afternoon exploring the Old and New Towns, visit the Edinburgh Castle, wander down the medieval Royal Mile to Holyrood Palace, taste some amazing Scottish food, or indulge in some designer shopping. Edinburgh is considered to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and it will be a day you will never forget!
- Balmoral Castle – Located just outside of Aberdeen, Balmoral Castle has been a home of the Royal Family since 1852. The Queen and her family fell in love with the area and now spend their summer in the castle every year. Visit the castle and its beautiful grounds, and experience some of the most magical scenery in Aberdeenshire.
- Afternoon Tea – A quintessential experience of Scottish culture, afternoon tea is not to be missed. Enjoy tea and coffee served from traditional teapots, along with a tiered cake stand adorned with freshly made sandwiches, home-cooked scones, jam and cream, tray bakes, cakes, and fresh strawberries. A true British culinary experience!
- Whisky Distillery – Whisky is Scotland’s national drink and our biggest export, enjoyed across the globe as well as right here in Scotland. With over 100 active distilleries in Scotland spread across five whisky regions, there are plenty of opportunities to learn how it’s made or even to have a taste if you would like!
- Brewdog Brewery Tour and Lunch – Visit the home of one of Aberdeen’s most famous exports – Brewdog. Founded in Aberdeen and now one of the most successful craft beer brands in the world, take a tour of where it all began and learn the secret to their success. After your tour, enjoy a buffet lunch of Scottish treats including the iconic Mac and Cheese.
- Dates and Fees
The Summer School will run from Monday 27 July 2020 to Saturday 8 August 2020 and costs £2150 for applicants from non-partner institutions.
- Academic programme and access to all academic materials
- Social Activities and Excursions (including transport and entrance fees)
- Accommodation at our Hillhead Student Village (single rooms with shared facilities)
- Additional meals as per the finalised itinerary
- Airport meet and greet and return transfers to Aberdeen airport
- Certificate of completion
- Welcome Event and Formal Closing Ceremony
- 24-hour onsite support from University of Aberdeen staff
- Flights or transport to the meeting point for transfers
- Medical or travel insurance
- Meals out with those detailed on the itinerary
- Spending money
- Academic Programme Options
Choose from one of the following programmes:
**Early bird fees: book your place before Friday 31 January and save £100**
To apply for the International Summer School, or to request more information, please contact email@example.com