The 20 Week Pre-sessional Course course prepare you for January and September programmes 2021. The University of Aberdeen will follow government guidelines as to ‘when’ and ‘how’ face to face teaching may resume. When these guidelines become clearer we may be in a position offer the second half of the course delivered from the university campus. However, for those applicants that do not wish to travel or prefer to study in the comfort of their own home there is always the online option outlined below.
Online PSE courses
Our online courses cover similar course content as our face to face courses. We have also worked hard to build in many of the interactive features that you would expect from traditional pre-sessional courses.
Aberdeen Loyalty Discounts
We really appreciate your loyalty to the University of Aberdeen during these difficult times. Therefore, on successful completion of the course, 25% of the PSE course fees will be taken off your degree programme fees.
This equates to:
- 20 week PSE - £1595 Rebate
Helping you once your studies have started
We know that you may need additional support with your studies.
- All PSE students will be eligible for a free 24 hour language course between February and March.
- In addition, there will be a range of free insessional classes & one to one sessions.
- What are the dates & fees for the course?
Date Fees Monday 3 August to Friday 18 December £6,380
- Which Language certificates can I use to apply for this course?
Please note: It may be possible that there will be an option to attend the second part of the course in Aberdeen. To attend an Aberdeen- based course and be eligible for a TIER 4 visa you must hold a SELT for example IELTS UKVI, Pearson Academic UKVI, Language Cert ESOL SELT.
UKVI & non-UKVI IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, Duolingo. If you have another type of language certificate, please contact the Language Centre.
IELTS IELTS TOEFL IBIT PTE Listening 5.0 15+ 46 Reading 5.0 14+ 46 Speaking 5.0 19+ 46 Writing 5.0 16+ 46 Overall 5.5 72+ 46
Duolingo - 90+
- How can I apply for the course?
- Please complete the application form.
- Submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a copy of your language and certificate, passport and proof of payment. In order for us to process the payment we must receive the full course fees.
- The application deadline is Sunday 26 July 2020.
- We accept non-UKVI IELTS and comparable certificates for the fully online course. There may be an option for some of the course to be taught in Aberdeen. Please note that, if you might wish to attend part of the course in Aberdeen, you must hold UKVI IELTS certificate or another SELT.
- Please note that you will not be able to change your course, withdraw from the course or receive a refund after Monday 3 August 2020.
- What will I learn on the course?
Developing your academic writing & style
- Organising your ideas
- Showing connections between ideas
- Using nouns & academic vocabulary
- Thinking critically & using evidence to support your ideas
Collaboration & teamwork
- Making your thinking clear to others
- Developing active listening skills
- Thinking critically & using evidence to carry out tasks
Reading & Listening
- Making your reading & listening more efficient
- Identifying relevant information quickly
- How will I learn?
The course consists of 25 hours of guided tasks, seminar activities, tutorials, collaborative activities and reflective writings.
- Weekly tutorials in which you can discuss your progress and get individualized feedback on your work
- Daily collaborative sessions which will be guided by your tutor
- Daily seminars in which you work together with your teacher and other students
- A tutor will be on hand everyday to give you additional individualized support
- What does a typical week look like?
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday 9am to 10am Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) Seminar (Live) 10.15am to 11.15am Collaborative session (Live) Collaborative session (Live) Collaborative session (Live) Collaborative session (Live) 11.15am to 12.15pm Tutor support Tutor support Tutor support Tutor support Tutor support Afternoons Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks Guided online activities & collaborative tasks
- How will I be assessed?
- 45% continuous writing assessment tasks
- 45% skills assessments
- 10% Engagement & participation
- If I successfully complete the on-line PSE course can I apply for a Tier 4 visa?
Yes, the university will remove your language condition attached to your offer, if you successfully complete the course. If you have no other outstanding conditions a CAS will be issued for your Tier 4 application.