Answers to concerns and questions about the personal tutoring system for all tutors.

1. Who will cover my personal tutor duties when I am on research leave? Or will I be expected to maintain my responsibility for my own tutees despite my research leave?

It is assumed that there will be a period of handover when a member of staff is due to go on a period of leave or sabbatical from the University. It is expected that this handover will include the transfer of Personal Tutor duties. You can discuss workload concerns with your Head of School.

2. As a Senior Personal Tutor, how should I deal with the potential problem of colleagues who are less than enthusiastic in the discharge of their tutorial duties?

All academic staff will be a Personal Tutor. It is the responsibility of the staff member’s Line Manager to manage personal tutoring in the same way as would apply to all other aspects of an employees’ duties. There will be no separate Line Manager system for the Personal Tutor System. Senior Personal Tutors who become aware of problems should liaise with their Head of School as per the role descriptor.

3. Who is the line manager for Personal Tutors?
Heads of Schools are the line managers for all academic staff in the School. A Senior Personal Tutor does not have line management responsibility, but is a line of communication for Personal Tutors.
4. What sanctions will there be for non-compliance with contractual tutorial duties?
As above, the usual recourse from the line management process will apply.
5. Will effectiveness as a Personal Tutor be recognised in the promotions procedure?
The contribution of members of academic staff in relation to the pastoral care and welfare of students is one of the criteria for promotion as outlined within the National Academic Role Profiles.
6. What steps will be taken to ensure that all students receive the most appropriate subject specific advice from their Personal Tutor?

As far as possible, Tutees will be allocated Personal Tutors from within their home school. This will mean that some schools have a higher Tutee: Tutor ratio, but it is felt that the benefits outweigh the workload consequences. It is still the aim that there will be 15-20 students per Personal Tutor.

The caveat is Joint Honours students who will be allocated to the school in which the tutee:tutor ratio is lowest.

If students change courses within their school, they will remain with their allocated Personal Tutor.

If students change courses outwith their school, then a new Tutor within the student’s new school may be assigned.

7. What changes can a student make to their own enrolment and course registration, and when? Can they change their own course registration through MyCurriculum after their initial course selection?

MyCurriculum provides guidance for students on the arrangements for course selection.  There are "How to..." guides and videos available as well as FAQs.

Students can make changes to their initial course seleaction by returning to MyCurriculum - refer to the User Guides for more information.

8. Who is the first point of contact for a student wanting to change their course selection?

Students should refer to the User Guides available on the MyCurriculum website for information about changing their course selection and the time periods within which this can be done.

9. With the new short terms, how long is the window within which students can change their courses? It used to be a fortnight; what is it now? Where is this enforced—is it part of operational guidance, or is it enforced by the software?

Registration will need to be completed within the 2 week window.  i.e. by the second Friday of term (excluding Induction Week).

10. Who is the first point of contact for a student seeking to be reinstated on a course, and who can actually do this?

There is no change to the student monitoring process. The following webpage gives guidance to students on what they should do where they have been refused a class certificate: Removing a C6 or C7

11. Who is the first point of contact for a student wishing to change their degree intention, and who can actually do this?

Students wishing to change their degree intention should be referred to the "Changing your Programme using MyCurriculum" available on the MyCurriculum website.

12. Is there a centrally available list of course co-ordinators so that when a PT needs to delegate a question to the course co-ordinator (perhaps for History of Art or Language and Linguistics) there’s one place for the whole of CASS they can look to rapidly discover the person that they need to send the student to see?

The Course Catalogue includes details of the name of the course coordinator for each course. Alternatively, students should be directed to the relevant School Office in the first instance.

13. Is there training available for PTs on using MyCurriculum?

Please see this Guide for Personal Tutors to MyCurriculum

14. How will the Personal Tutor system be organised for those staff who are part-time or who have research leave?

It is intended that those staff on contracts ≥0.5% FTE will undertake Personal Tutor duties pro rata. Provision will need to be given by schools to cover staff on sabbatical/research leave.

15. Will we be able to exploit this opportunity by organising specific tutorial courses around it?
Individual schools can decide on this.
16. Is an academic reference for a tutee written by a Personal Tutor who is not in the same discipline and who does not know the academic competence of the tutee appropriate/useful?

The Personal Tutors will be based within the school where possible.

Academic excellence will be visible through exams/assessments, but non-discipline specific issues such as achievement of the Graduate Attributes will be explored with Personal Tutors and Tutees and therefore any Personal Tutor will be in a good position to act as a reference for any student.

Students also have the option to approach any member of staff for an academic reference as well as their Personal Tutor.

Guidance on writing academic references for Personal Tutors.

17. Should a Personal Tutor be an expert in the area that a tutee has studied so that a relevant academic reference can be provided?
No, personal tutoring is more about personal development than academic support. Personal Tutors are directed to their School website where information is readily available.
18. Students may ask for academic advice that a personal tutor is not comfortable giving – to whom should the student be referred?
A personal tutor may refer a student to Registry staff, degree programme co-ordinator or the course co-ordinator.
19. What are the legalities of writing a reference?

You may wish to go on a reference writing course for more details but if you are uncomfortable writing a reference you can either decline or if student insists, you can keep any reference very factual eg. I can confirm <Joe Brown> was a student here between <X and Y dates> and graduated with an upper second class Hons degree in <discipline>. 

Guidance on writing academic references for Personal Tutors.

20. What happens if a Personal Tutor is on long-term leave or long-term sick leave?
That Tutor’s tutee’s will be reallocated and then returned to original tutor on their return.