Below are links to web pages and documentation that you may find useful, both in terms of guiding students and answering their general queries, and seeking advice for yourself as a Personal Tutor, especially with regard to support and IT tools.
- If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, try our FAQ.
- For enquiries within your School regarding the Personal Tutor System, see the Senior Personal Tutor Directory.
- For all other enquiries and general support, please get in touch with the Personal Tutoring Support Staff in Infohub: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For You, as a Personal Tutor
There are currently several different systems you can use to help you support your tutees and we have produced guides to step you through each. The system you use will depend on what you want to do:
I want to… See our guide on… View a list of my personal tutees Using MyCurriculum View and save a list of my personal tutees Using Student Records Email an individual tutee Using MyCurriculum View a tutee’s enrolment details and course selection summary, and record notes Using MyCurriculum Search for a tutee Using MyCurriculum Create and modify meetings with tutees* Using MyAberdeen Contact tutees Using MyAberdeen View my tutees’ timetables Using MyTimetable View a tutee’s record Using Student Records Print tutees’ record cards Using Student Records View a tutee’s monitoring history Using Student Records
*Meetings: For 2016 Academic Year, Personal Tutors can use the Groups facility in MyAberdeen to organise their initial welcome and exam reflection meetings with tutees. You can also use MyAberdeen to schedule additional meetings with your tutees.
While face-to-face meetings are preferred, you may (particularly when you are off campus) also use Blackboard Collaborate as a ‘virtual meeting room’. Your tutees will need to have access to a webcam or mobile device. You could also ‘meet’ using Skype which is now available on University Staff PCs.
For further guidance, see our Preparing for Meetings pages.
Leaflets and guides
- Worried about a Student?
- Confidentiality and boundaries
- Jury service excusing letter - exam clash - letter template for Personal Tutors
- Writing an Academic Reference for a tutee
Workshops and training
- Student Records for Personal Tutors training sessions - Tutor led sessions organised by IT Services and Registry. Note: Workshops held mid-end August
- Equality and Diversity eTraining
- Coaching and Mentoring - advice from the University’s Staff Development team
For other training and development opportunities, see Staff Development pages on StaffNet.
- For Your Personal Tutees
If a student has a query or problem relating to any of the following, please refer them to Students’ Infohub:
- ID Cards
- Making payments to the University
- Student Records
For students with personal difficulties – such as disability advice, financial concerns, personal issues, visa renewals – please refer them to Student Services and Support
Resources for students
- MyCurriculum online course selection - user guides and video guides
- MyTimetable - video guide on signing up for tutorials, practicals and labs
- Timetable Clash-Checker
- Catalogue of Courses - course descriptions
- University Calendar - programme/degree requirements
Support services for students
- Student Services and Support- Services and Support for academic and non-academic issues
- Student Learning Service- Academic skills workshops and study advice sessions for students
- University Careers Service- Careers advice
- Counselling Service- Support for students
- Chaplaincy- Support for students
- IT Services for Students - information about email, printing, wireless, IT support, PC classrooms, IT security, working off-campus, and more.
See our Student Help Guide for a full list of support services, including contact details.