Principle 2: Design in opportunities for community building
Provide opportunities for students to create connections with other students, with staff, and with others (e.g. employers, internationally) on-campus and in the virtual learning environment.
- Possible approaches
What you can do
- use of supported discussions;
- ensure sufficient time is provided for students to interact with one another (e.g. icebreakers, think-pair-share activities);
- use of group work;
- active peer-to-peer and student-staff interactions;
- explore opportunities for Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL);
- use of the Virtual Learning Environment to promote interaction and collaborative learning outside the classroom.
Examples of creating opportunities for community building and further information can be found on our Examples & Inspiration page.