- Current Events
This event is CANCELLED - to be rescheduled.
Conversations on series... Cancer through Time
26 March 2020, 12.00 -13:30 at Meeting Room and Breakout Room, Sir Duncan Rice Library
Geology meets biology:
Carbon can be an effective tool to understanding the temperature and pressure that geological materials have undergone in the past, and its structure can be attributed to specific events.
Developing novel and effective treatments for Cancer is one of today’s greatest medical challenges, with a need to detect cancer early prior to it spreading to other parts of the body.
Why have a geologist and biologist started collaborating on these topics? What brought their expertise together and what do they possibly hope to achieve by integrating geological and biological techniques?
Dr Dave Muirhead (geologist and Head of School of Geosciences) and Prof. Valerie Speirs (Chair in Molecular Oncology) will lead a conversation on their collaboration and the challenges along the way. There will be a chance to see a live demonstration of the technique used to advance their interdisciplinary research and we will hear from some students who have been working as part of the team.
Book your place here.
Datalab AGA Presentation
1 April 2020, 13:00-15:00 - Sir Duncan Rice Library, Seminar Room 224
This event is for University of Aberdeen academics and researchers.
The Datalab is Scotland's Innovation Centre for data and AI. They help Scotland maximise value from data and fuel innovation through collaboration, building skills and growing talent.
Learn more about The Datalab here.
They will be at the University of Aberdeen on 1st April 2020 to give an introductory presentation on who they are, what they do and the ways we can work together.
There will be the opportunity for informal discussion after the presentation. If you want a 1-on-1 meeting with them that afternoon, please email Dr Zachary Hickman to arrange.
- 1-2pm: The Datalab presentation with Q&A
- 2-3pm: Informal discussion
- 3pm +: Pre-arranged 1-on-1 meetings of approx 20 min intervals
Lunch will be provided. Let us know if you have any dietary requirements
EVENT POSTPONED - to be rescheduled.
Carnegie Trust Visit
Linklater Rooms, 20 May 2020 - 12:30 - 14:00
The Grants Academy will be hosting a visit from Patricia Krus and John Thompson, representatives of the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland on Thursday 20th May 2020. A sandwich lunch will also be provided. Save the date in your calendar and book your place here.
EVENT CANCELLED - to be rescheduled
UKRO Meeting – 21 May 2020
Venue: KCF 7
Please be aware that this session was previously scheduled for 28 November 2019.
** Those who were booked on the November session will need to re-register Course Booking site.**
Branwen Hide, our UKRO representative will be visiting the University of Aberdeen to present up to date information on the UK’s future relationship to the EU funding mechanism, Horizon 2020 and its successor programme, Horizon Europe which will launch in 2021. Based in Brussels, UKRO are the UK’s National Contact Point for the ‘Excellent Science’ opportunities within Horizon 2020 and are the UKRI’s permanent representative in Europe. Spaces at the morning session will be limited – click HERE to book.
From 2 pm onwards, academic staff have the opportunity to book a one to one session with Branwen to pose questions about existing projects and their plans to apply in the future to European Commission funding calls. Please contact the Grants Academy to book your space.
Event Cancelled - to be rescheduled
Leverhulme Trust Visit
Meeting Room 1 and Breakout, Level 7, Sir Duncan Rice Library - 4 June 2020
More Details to follow.....
- Latest News
Showcase your Research – Discover Altmetrics
Did you know The University of Aberdeen subscribes to Altmetric Explorer to allow researchers to discover online attention for research, provide additional evidence when applying for funding, and to evidence potential impact.
The Altmetric Explorer provides a number of tools for researchers including badges that can be added to your web pages, these badges can be used to highlight specific papers or research which has received lots of positive online attention. Research and Innovation have created a guide to help you add these badges. You can download the guide from https://www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/research/altmetrics.php
If you would like any further details please contact Nykohla Strong.
- News Archive
- UKRI Consulation on Open Access Review
- 31 January 2020 - Introduction to the Policy Landscape - Nick Bibby, Director of SPRE
- 22 May 2019 - Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA)
- 22 April 2019 - Principal’s Prize for Research and Engagement
- Past Events
- 13 May - Online ResearchBite - Realising your Research Impact, Now and for the Future (Further Details)
- 6 May - Online ResearchBite - The UN Sustainable Development Goals - Should I Even Care? (Further Details)
- 29 April - Online ResearchBite - Public Engagement (Further Details)
- 28 April - Online DASA Application Workshop
- 22 April - Online NERC Demand Management (Further Details)
- 13 February - EPSRC Visit (Further Details)
- 12 February - ResearchBite: Data Management and Digital Support (Further Details)
- 5 February - ResearchBite Building your Budget (Further Details)
- 30/31 January - Nick Bibby, Director of Scottish Policy and Research Exchange (SPRE)
- 29 January - ResearchBite Carnegie Trust Research Incentive Grant Preparation Workshop (Further Details)
- 22 January - ResearchBite Getting Started with Funding Applications (Further Details)
- 15 January - ResearchBite Finding Funding (Further Details)
- 20 November - Practical Skills for Researchers Workshops (Further Details)
- 18 November - Postdoctoral Professional Development Programme
- 15 November - DASA Visit (Further Details)
- 13 November - ONE Life Sciences Network: IP and Partnerships (Further Information)
- 11 November - OGTC Roadshow - Forging Elite Energy Start-Ups - TechX (Further Details)
- 6 November - ResearchBite - Introduction to Research Ethics (Further Details)
- 6 November - Conversations on Emotions (Further Details)
- 23 October - ResearchBite - Realising your Research Impact Now and for the Future (Further Details)
- 16 October - ResearchBite - Getting Started with Consultancy & Contract Research (Further Details)
- 9 October - ResearchBite - Research Funding (Further Details)
- 2 October - Life Science Catalyst - Kosterlitz Event (Futher Details)
- 2 October - ResearchBite - European Funding A Shift in the Landscape (Further Details)
- 23 September - ScotChem Natural Products in the Bio-Economy - A Collaboration-Building Workshop - (Further Details)
- 18 September - ResearchBite: Research Funding: Getting Started - (Further Details)
- 17 September - EUROPA Members Meeting.
- 11 September - ResearchBite Launch - (Further Details)
- 27 June - Combining Past Present to apprehend an uncertain Future - (Further Details)
- 29 May - DASA Visit - Debra Car did 1-2-1 sessions with Academics
- 17 May - AHRC Briefing - (Further Details)
- 14 May - Celebration Event & Funding Opportunity: Wellcome Trust – Institutional Strategic Support Fund - (Further Details)
- 23 April - ETP Visit - (Further Details)
- 16 April - Capturing Online Attention on your Research - (Further Details)
- 15 April - Induction Fair - (Further Details)
- 29 March - Understanding Intellectual Property
- 22 March - Capturing Online Attention on your Research - (Further Details)
- 15 March - Translating research into commercial opportunities - (Further Details)
- 13 March - Conversations on Voice of the Child
- 7 March - Royal Society Visit - (Further Details)
- 4 March - MRC Seminar
- 27 February - Conversations on Marine Life Below Water
- 23 January - Conversations on Ownership of the Human Body
- 14 January - DSTL Visit
- 21 November - Conversations on Healthy Ageing
- 16 November - Chief Scientist Office Visit
- 31 October - Conversations on Water Security & Sustainability (Further Details)
- 24 October - Working with Industry: Routes, Confidentiality and IP
- 29 August - Conversations on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (Further Details)
- 18 July - Conversations on Nature Connectedness and Wellbeing
- 3 July - Visit from Professor Tim Wheeler, Director of Research & Innovation at NERC
- 20 June - Conversations on Food Security, Sustainable Diets and Wellbeing
- 19 June - Chemistry Research Away Day
- 30 May - Inter-disciplinary Research Workshop
- 29 May - ISCF & Innovate UK Internal Briefing and Discussion
- 15 May - Engineering - Briefing Session on Consultancy
- 25 April - PSRC Training Session led by Professor Pete Edwards
- 27 March - External Funding Application Workshop
- 20 March - Lloyds Register Group Visit
- 5 March - Insights into the external funding panels seminar
- 2 March - SBS Grants Foundry Workshop
- 26 February - RSE Enterprise Fellowships Scheme Briefing (Further Details)
- 7 February - Leverhulme Trust Visit - (Further Details)
- 31 January - Scotland-Europa FP9 Consultation Event - (Further Details)
- 24 January - Engineering Research Away Day
- 29 November - IMS/RINH Grants Foundry
- 22 November - MRC Visit (Further Details)
- 21 November - UKRO Visit (Further Details: Rise, CoFund, Overview)
- 14 November - ITN Grant Writing Workshop (Further Details)
- 27 September - DATALAB Innovation Centre visit
- 26 September - EAG Meeting (Further Details)
- 30 August - IMS/RINH Grants Foundry
- 25 August - Global Challenge Research Fund Workshop focused on Food and Nutrition - (Further Details)
- 19 June - Intention to Submit deadline for MRC/ BBSRC/ Wellcome Trust
- 14 June - Grants writing workshop one-2-one/ small groups Part 2 (host: A. Derrington) (SMMSN)
- 7 June - Grants writing workshop 2 (host: A. Derrington) (SMMSN)
- 5 June - Blueberry Training: Developing a Commercial Proposal
- 30 May - EU grant writing workshop
- 29 May - EU grant writing workshop
- 17 May - Grant writing workshop 1 (host A. Derrington) (SMMSN)
- 12 May - Grants writing workshop one-one/small groups (host: A Derrington) (CoPS)
- 10 May - Carnegie Trust Visit
- 3 May - Grants Writing Workshop (host: A Derrington) (CoPS)
- 26 April - Wellcome Trust Visit
- 19 April - IMS/RINH Grants Foundry
- 17 March 2017 - Global Challenge Research Fund and Newton Fund Workshop - (Further Details)