The Research Futures Fund supports the career development of postdoctoral researchers. You can apply for funding to develop innovative activities which will support your career development and that of your peers, in one of the following categories:
- Establish, develop or support an interdisciplinary network which crosses School boundaries.
- Run a professional development activity or event, which supports the development of leadership, communication, networking, writing, and/or other transferable skills within or across disciplines.
- Organise an activity or event which allows participants to explore the potential impact of their research.
- Organise an activity or event which allows researchers to engage with industry.*
Awards of up to £500 each are available. All activities should have a clear benefit to postdoctoral/early career researchers within the University. Proposals should have realistic and achievable goals, and a clear budget which demonstrates value for money and reflects the cost of the activity proposed.
The next round of funding will open in January 2019.
*Industry is defined broadly, as organisations which are not in the public sector.
Who can apply?
- University of Aberdeen Postdoctoral Research Assistants/Associates, Research Fellows and Teaching Fellows are eligible to apply to this scheme.
- The application should be made by a team of at least two people. The lead applicant must be employed by the University of Aberdeen for the duration of the project.
- Each application needs one lead applicant. This person will be the main point of contact for Researcher Development, and will responsible for overseeing the budget and submitting the evaluation form and financial summary at the end of the project.
You can apply for funding for:
- Event catering
- Venue hire (if University rooms are not appropriate or available)
- Expenses for a speaker or tutor
- Workshop materials
- Promotional materials
- Small prizes for competitions or thank you gifts
What we don’t fund:
- Individual conference travel, accommodation and registration fees
- Direct financial assistance to individuals
- Events for which funding is available elsewhere
- Hardware, software or other design, art, lab and technical materials that your School would normally be expected to purchase as part of their ongoing budgets
- Payback of University of Aberdeen staff time
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Save as: ARFF_leadapplicantslastname.doc
- Email to: Researcher Development
For informal enquiries please contact Dr Claire Hawes, Researcher Development Adviser