NHS Grampian’s Energy Centre on the Foresterhill Health Campus in Aberdeen is on the shortlist for two awards in the prestigious 2014 Health Service Journal (HSJ) Value in Healthcare Awards.
The Centre has beaten stiff competition to reach the finals in the categories ‘Energy Efficiency’ and in ‘Value and Improvement in Estates Management’, which are part of HSJ’s Awards. The Centre supplies heat and power to the Foresterhill Health Campus, one of the largest healthcare campuses in Europe, which includes Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, the Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital, Aberdeen Maternity Hospital and the University of Aberdeen Medical School.
Gary Mortimer, NHS Grampian General Manager of Facilities and Estates, said: “We are delighted to be selected, and in the face of serious competition − the awards have received their highest number of entries in its history, so to be shortlisted is a fantastic achievement. We are the only Scottish entry in the Energy Efficiency category and one of only a few Scottish organisations shortlisted among all the categories.
“We are very proud of the Energy Centre which has already won a range of accolades.”
The Centre, which brought the energy supply system to Foresterhill Health Campus into the forefront of efficiency and sustainability, began serving the site during 2012. It features a flexible and energy efficient system, by combining a Gas Turbine Combined Heat and Power plant, three dual fuel boilers and a biomass (woodchip) boiler. This system replaced a 35-year-old boiler house and energy generating equipment, and will contribute towards reducing the overall NHS Grampian carbon footprint by 17%, equating to 4,500 tonnes per annum. By generating most of its own electricity, the Centre is also avoiding energy costs of around £1m per annum.
The Centre was designed to have the capacity to support further development on the site, and last year it began supplying the new multi-level Matthew Hay building which came into service on the Campus.
NHS Grampian’s Energy Centre accolades so far:
• Winner of the coveted BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) award, Industrial category. (BREEAM is the world’s foremost design and assessment method for sustainable buildings and the Centre was the only winner from Scotland in the 2012 awards.)
• Winner of the Scottish Green Awards 2012 – Carbon Reduction Award
• Winner of the Combined Heat & Power Association Awards (CHPA) – Public Sector Category 2012
• Shortlisted in the Heating & Ventilation Awards 2013
• Shortlisted on the Building Controls Industry Association Awards – Energy Infrastructure Category 2013
The results of the HSJ Value in Healthcare Awards will be announced at their ceremony on 23 September at the Grosvenor House Hotel, London.
For more information on the HSJ Awards go to http://www.hsjvalueawards.co.uk
Issued by NHS Grampian, Corporate Communications
Browse by Month
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018