The re-imaging and deployment of classroom and lecture theatre PCs is almost complete.
This annual upgrade is a major undertaking and we would like to thank you for your timely responses about software requirements for the coming academic year.
If you haven’t already done so, we encourage you to test your software before the start of term to allow us time to fix any issues.
So what’s new?
We have deployed approximately 400 new PCs this year – doubling the RAM on all new PCs from 4Gb to 8Gb – and reimaged the remaining 1300. The main, high-density rooms where PCs have been replaced are:
|Building||Room||No. PCs replaced|
In response to feedback from staff and students in this year’s user survey, we are piloting a 64-bit Windows 7 image, with upgraded memory of 8Gb, in room 112 Fraser Noble. We hope that this will significantly improve the performance of larger, resource hungry applications and that it will become the standard for next year’s classroom refresh.
We have also installed ultra fast Solid State Drives (SSDs) on lecturer PCs in most lecture theatres. This will speed up boot-up time to under 30 seconds.
Working with colleagues in Estates, we hope to replace all broken chairs in PC classrooms before the start of term.
As always, please report all issues with PCs to the Service Desk.
Browse by Month
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018