A new Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy Group has been established at the University. The Group aims to empower its members and the wider University community to raise equality issues and to drive positive change. It will set the strategic direction for equality, diversity and inclusion by connecting staff and students across all of the University’s campuses.
The Group comprises representatives of the equality networks, campus trades unions, AUSA, Student Support, Widening Participation, HR, Head of School representative and Equality Champion representative and is chaired by Karl Leydecker, Senior Vice Principal.
The Group discussed a wide range of initiatives at its first meeting in July, and agreed the following key actions:
- Engage with BME staff and students to create a race network/s;
- Recommend that the University signs up to the Race Equality Charter;
- Convene a sub-group to analyse the data available on race within the employment lifecycle;
- Recommend that the draft policy to support transgender staff and students be taken through the consultation process;
- Driving forward Athena SWAN action plans to support the progress already delivered;
- Support the REF preparations by delivering training and assessing the impact of the process on equality groups;
- Develop options to celebrate the University’s diverse staff and student communities through a follow-up to the successful University Inclusion Week held in March 2019.
Would you like to contribute to the Group’s work by providing comments or be part of one of the University’s Equality Networks? Please contact Janine Chalmers, Equality and Diversity Adviser firstname.lastname@example.org