Staff with a holiday year from October – September are reminded that you can request to purchase up to 10 days additional leave in the leave year October 2017 – September 2018.
The scheme is intended to build on leave arrangements already in place (such as annual leave, family friendly leave and unpaid leave), and further assist staff in achieving a healthy balance between their work and personal lives. The scheme also provides additional flexibility in respect of staff benefits and planned time off work.
Full details of the Scheme and additional information can be found here.
Key points to note are:
- In each annual leave year, staff will be provided the opportunity to purchase up to 10 days leave (over a whole leave year) or 5 days leave (over a half leave year). This will be pro rata for part time/part year staff, i.e. if you work 4 days per week max you can request is 8 days. If you work shifts the maximum you can purchase is 2 weeks if you are full time i.e. 2 x 37.5 hours.
- Staff can request either:
- By 30 September, up to 10 days leave in the next leave year OR
- By 31 March, up to 5 days leave in the remainder of the leave year.
- Requests will be subject to approval by line managers who will take into account business/ operational requirements which will remain the priority.
- Deductions to salary will be made in instalments over a whole leave year (for those who have requested up to 10 days at the start of a leave year) or over a half year (for those who have requested up to 5 days at the half way point).
- The additional leave is treated as a salary sacrifice arrangement. This means that staff agree to reduce their salary and the University will provide up to 10 days (pro rata for part time staff) additional leave for the leave year. The deduction is made from gross salary which means lower tax deductions.
Staff wishing to purchase up to 10 days annual leave for the 2017/18 holiday year should complete a request form available here and submit it to their line manager by 15 September 2017.
*(This does not apply to those with an annual leave year that starts in February, where requests should be made by 31January, for up to 10 days leave in the next leave year OR by 31July for up to 5 days leave in the remainder of the leave year).