A meeting of the Undergraduate Committee will be held on Monday, 8 June 2020 at 2.00 pm via Microsoft Teams..
Mrs P Rowand, Undergraduate Committee Clerk
(Extn: 3387; E-mail: email@example.com)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 5 May 2020 (UG/080620/001)
2. Matters Arising 3. Report on the Blended Learning Implementation Task and Focus Group (TFG) and Other TFGs The Chair will update members on the work of the Blended Learning Implementation TFG. Members’ attention is drawn to the fact that information on the TFG’s membership and terms of reference, together with the groups agendas and minutes are available online 4. Equality and Diversity Impact Assessment (UG/080620/002) The Chair will update members on the work of the Equality and Diversity Impact Assessment TFG. 5. AOCB
6. Centralised University Orientation (UG/080620/003) As the University moves towards blended learning delivery for 2020/21, changes are being planned as to how Induction will for new students will be delivered. The attached document has been drafted by the Student Experience directorate, which outlines proposals for centralised Induction, now to be called Orientation, as well as recommendations for School Orientation. This document has been circulated to Schools via School Admin Officers. 7. University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) Committee members’ attention is drawn to the agenda for the 28 April 2020 meeting of the UCTL. Members should note that the UCTL will meet next on 22 June 2020 8. Date of Next Meetings Members are asked to note that the next meeting of the Committee will take place at 2 pm on Monday, 19 October 2020
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the undergraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides a forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated.
Specifically the Undergraduate Committee will:
- Maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Maintain strategic oversight of the arrangements for the induction and transition of new entrants to the University.
- Support the work of the Careers Service in promoting activities to support employability and provide co-curricular opportunities for students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the undergraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the National Student Survey, the UK Engagement Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in undergraduate student education.
- Proactively monitor data in regard to student retention and recommend actions to be taken to enhance student retention.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Abbe Brown
Clerk: Pat Rowand
Tel: 01224 273387
- The Committee will be convened by one of the two Deans of Undergraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis.
- Deans of Undergraduate Studies (Conveners - Shared Role)
- Director of Teaching from each School (or nominee) as nominated by Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Careers Service (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Abbe Brown (Chair)
- Jason Bohan
- Justin Borg-Barthet
- Euan Bain
- Archie Graham
- William Harrison
- Gerry Hough
- Shona Potts
- W David McCausland
- Gordon McEwan
- Tim Mighall
- Michelle Pinard
- Anders Widfeldt
- Dariya Koleva (AUSA Representative)
- Vacant (AUSA Representative)
- Ewan Grant
- Tracey Innes
- Natalie Kinchin-Williams
- Joy Perkins
- Clerk: Pat Rowand (Registry)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am - 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
Membership: 5 November 2019 6 February 2020 20 March 2020 Chair and Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Science)
Abbe Brown from January 2020
Present Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Michelle Pinard Claire Trinder attended Present School Representative (Business School) W David McCausland Apologies Apologies School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Gerry Hough Present Present School Representative (Education) Archie Graham Apologies Apologies School Representative (Engineering) Euan Bain Present Present School Representative (Geosciences) Tim Mighall Present Present School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Shona Potts Apologies Present School Representative (Law)
Present Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Gordon McEwan Present Apologies School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) William Harrison Apologies Present School Representative (Psychology)
Present Apologies School Representative (Social Sciences) Stuart Durkin Apologies Present
Students' Association Representative
- Fiona Gyoeri attended
Students' Association Representative
tbc - - Library Representative Ewan Grant Apologies Present
Clerk Pat Rowand Present Present Centre for Academic Development Representative Joy Perkins Apologies Apologies Head of the Careers Services
Sandi Thomson attended Present Relationship Manager, IT Services Natalie Kinchin-Williams Apologies Apologies Vice-Principal (Learning and Teaching)
Ruth Taylor from December 2019
Apologies Apologies Craig Stewart Minute Secretary Present Present