A meeting of the Undergraduate Committee will be held on Tuesday, 8 December 2020 at 2.00 pm via Microsoft Teams..
Pat Rowand, Undergraduate Committee Clerk
(Extn: 3387; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Approval of the minute of the Undergraduate Committee meeting held on 19 October 2020 (UG/081220/001)
2. Matters Arising 3. Widening Access Support/Summer School Programme (UG/081220/002) Members are invited to consider the paper setting out a proposal for supporting the academic needs of Widening Access pupils throughout the year and creating a Summer School. The Committee is invited to discuss the proposals and make recommendations on the next steps. 4. Draft Policy on Inclusion and Accessibility in Education (UG/081220/003) Members are invited to consider and comment on the revised draft paper on Inclusion and Accessibility in Education, the policy and future plans. 5. Penalties for the Unauthorised Late Submission of Work The Committee will receive a verbal update on the above paper which was considered by Senate at its meeting on 2 December 2020. 6.. AOCB
7. Senate Digest Committee members are invited to note the contents of the Senate Digest for the 21 October 2020 meeting of Senate. 8. University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) Committee members’ attention is drawn to the agendas for the 14 October 2020 and 7 November 2020 meetings of the UCTL. 9. Date of Next Meetings Members are asked to note that the next meeting of the Committee is scheduled to take place at 2 pm on Thursday, 4 February 2021.
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the undergraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides a forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated.
Specifically the Undergraduate Committee will:
- Maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Maintain strategic oversight of the arrangements for the induction and transition of new entrants to the University.
- Support the work of the Careers Service in promoting activities to support employability and provide co-curricular opportunities for students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the undergraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the National Student Survey, the UK Engagement Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in undergraduate student education.
- Proactively monitor data in regard to student retention and recommend actions to be taken to enhance student retention.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Abbe Brown
Clerk: Pat Rowand
Tel: 01224 273387
- The Committee will be convened by one of the two Deans of Undergraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis.
- Deans of Undergraduate Studies (Conveners - Shared Role)
- Director of Teaching from each School (or nominee) as nominated by Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Careers Service (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Abbe Brown (Chair)
- Jason Bohan
- Justin Borg-Barthet
- Euan Bain
- Archie Graham
- William Harrison
- Gerry Hough
- Shona Potts
- W David McCausland
- Gordon McEwan
- Tim Mighall
- Michelle Pinard
- Anders Widfeldt
- Dariya Koleva (AUSA Representative)
- Vacant (AUSA Representative)
- Ewan Grant
- Tracey Innes
- Natalie Kinchin-Williams
- Joy Perkins
- Clerk: Pat Rowand (Registry)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am - 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
19 October 2020
8 December 2020
Chair and Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Science)
School Representative (Biological Sciences) Michelle Pinard Apologies Present School Representative (Business School) W David McCausland Present Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Gerry Hough Present Apologies School Representative (Education) Leigh Bjorkvill Apologies Present School Representative (Engineering) Euan Bain Present Present School Representative (Geosciences) Tim Mighall Present Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Shona Potts Present Present School Representative (Law)
Present Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Gordon McEwan Present Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) William Harrison Present Present School Representative (Psychology)
Present Present School Representative (Social Sciences) Stuart Durkin Present Present
Students' Association Representative
Students' Association Representative
Tarken Moore Present Apologies Library Representative Ewan Grant Present Present
Clerk Pat Rowand Apologies Present Centre for Academic Development Representative Joy Perkins Present Apologies Head of the Careers Services
Present Present Relationship Manager, IT Services Natalie Kinchin-Williams Present Present Vice-Principal (Learning and Teaching)
Apologies Apologies Craig Stewart Minute Secretary Present Present