UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN
The next meeting of the Undergraduate Committee will be held on Monday 12 November 2018 at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2, University Office.
Mrs P Rowand, Undergraduate Committee Clerk
(Extn: 3387; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 17 September 2018 (UG/121118/001)
2. Matters Arising 3. Committee Member Role Descriptors (UG/121118/002) Role descriptors have been created for members of the Quality Assurance Committee. Members are invited to consider the key aspects of the role of Undergraduate Committee members. 4. Update on Review of Policies and Practices for Accessible and Inclusive Learning (UG/121118/003) Members are invited to discuss the contents of this paper and provide comments on the best method of obtaining School representation in the Working Group. 5. Honours Weighting in Degree Classification/Borderlines Update (UG/121118/004 to follow) A paper providing an update on the matters of (i) honours weighting and (ii) borderlines in degree classification will be provided, taking in to consideration feedback received from other Commmittees will follow. Professor Shennan will be in attendance for discussion of this item. 6. Feedback from SCEF Working Group (UG/121118/005 to follow) Members are invited to discuss feedback from the SCEF working group. Professor Shennan to be in attendance for discussion of this item. 7. Feedback from Internal Teaching Review (ITR) Pilot (UG/121118/006) Members are invited to consider the contents of the attached paper giving feedback from the pilot of a new ITR process piloted in the School of Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture. 8. Learning Analytics Process Update (UG/121118/007) Further to the consideration of this item at the last meeting of the Committee, members will be provided with an update of the progress being made in regard to this. 9. Good Practice: “Friendly Friday” Policy At the last meeting of the Committee all Schools were asked to consider whether elements of the “Friendly Friday” approach might be adopted. Members are invited to feedback on their Schools’ consideration of this approach. 10. AOCB
11. Enhancement-Led Insitutional Review (ELIR) Timeline (UG/121118/008) Members are invited to note the attached paper providing an update on the progress of ELIR and the schedule of meetings for 19 to 23 November 2018. 12. Date of Next Meetings Members are asked to note that the next meeting of the Committee will take place on Monday, 14 January 2019 at 2.00 pm, Committee Room 2, University Office.
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the undergraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides a forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated.
Specifically the Undergraduate Committee will:
- Maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Maintain strategic oversight of the arrangements for the induction and transition of new entrants to the University.
- Support the work of the Careers Service in promoting activities to support employability and provide co-curricular opportunities for students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the undergraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the National Student Survey, the UK Engagement Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in undergraduate student education.
- Proactively monitor data in regard to student retention and recommend actions to be taken to enhance student retention.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL
- Composition & Membership
Convener: Professor Alison Jenkinson
Clerk: Pat Rowand
Tel: 01224 273387
- The Committee will be convened by one of the two Deans of Undergraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis.
- Deans of Undergraduate Studies (Conveners - Shared Role)
- Director of Teaching from each School (or nominee) as nomiated by Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Careers Service (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Vacant (Dean of UG Studies)
- Professor A Jenkinson (Dean of UG Studies)
- Dr J Bohan
- Dr J Borg-Barthet
- Dr E Bain
- Professor A Denison
- Dr A Graham
- Dr W Harrison
- Dr G Hough
- Dr T Baker
- Professor WD McCausland
- Professor G McEwan
- Dr T Mighall
- Professor M Pinard
- Dr A Widfeldt
- Miss I Drdakova (AUSA Representative)
- Miss J Paneva (AUSA Representative)
- Mrs T Innes
- Mrs Natalie Kinchin-Williams
- Dr J Perkins
- Clerk: Mrs P Rowand(Registry)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am - 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
17 September 2018
12 November 2018
14 January 2019
25 February 2019
26 April 2019
Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Arts)
Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Science) Professor Alison Jenkinson Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Professor Michelle Pinard Present School Representative (Business School) Professor W David McCausland Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Dr Gerry Hough Apologies School Representative (Education) Dr Archie Graham Present School Representative (Engineering) Dr Euan Bain Present School Representative (Geosciences) Dr Tim Mighall Present School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Dr Tim Baker Present School Representative (Law)
Dr Justin Borg-Barthet
Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Professor Gordon McEwan Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Professor Alan Denison Apologies School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) Dr William Harrison Present School Representative (Psychology)
Dr J Bohan
Present School Representative (Social Sciences) Dr Anders Widfelt Present Education Officer (Students' Association) Mrs Donna Connelly Present Students' Association Representative Vacant Apologies Library Representative Mr Ewan Grant Apologies
Clerk Mrs Pat Rowand Present Centre for Academic Development Representative Dr Joy Perkins Present Head of the Careers Services
Mrs Tracey Innes
Apologies Vice-Principal (Learning and Teaching) Professor Peter McGeorge Apologies