UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN
The next meeting of the Undergraduate Committee will be held on Friday 26 April 2019 at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2, University Office.
Mrs P Rowand, Undergraduate Committee Clerk
(Extn: 3387; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 25 February 2019 (UG/260419/001)
2. Matters Arising (UG/260419/002) 3. Honours Weighting in Degree Classification Following on from discussions at previous meetings of the Committee members are invited to consider the revised paper on the weighting of Honours years in degree classification. Thereafter the paper will be considered at the UCTL and Senate. 4. Code of Practice on Assessment (UG/260419/003) Members are invited to consider the attached paper which updates the Code of Practice on Assessment for Academic Year 2018-19 and for Academic Year 2019-20 in line with the Senate-approved changes in several assessment-related policies. The updated Codes of Practice on Assessment and the associated timeline for classification changes are appended to the paper. 5. Review of the Student Course Evaluation Process (UG/260419/004) The paper reporting on the work of the SCEF (Student Course Evaluation Form) Review Working Group is enclosed for member’s consideration. 6. Code of Practice on Student Discipline (Academic) (UG/260419/005) The Code of Practice on Student Discipline (Academic) and appended flow charts are enclosed for member’s consideration. 7. Disability Provision: Exam Scheduling and Location (UG/260419/006 to follow) A paper on disability provision exam scheduling and location will follow for members’ consideration. 8. Forward Planning for 2019/20 9. AOCB
10. Senate Digest Committee members are invited to note the contents of the Senate Digest for the 20 March 2019 meeting of Senate 11. University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) (UG/250219/006) Committee members’ attention is drawn to the agenda for 22 April 2019 meeting of the UCTL 12 Date of Next Meetings Members are asked to note that meetings of the Committee for the 2019/2020 academic year are scheduled as follows:
- Monday, 21 October 2019 in Committee Room 2, University Office
- Tuesday, 10 December 2019 in F61 Edward Wright Building
- Thursday, 6 February 2019 in Committee Room 2, University Office
- Monday, 23 March 2020 in Committee Room 2, University Office
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the undergraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides a forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated.
Specifically the Undergraduate Committee will:
- Maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Maintain strategic oversight of the arrangements for the induction and transition of new entrants to the University.
- Support the work of the Careers Service in promoting activities to support employability and provide co-curricular opportunities for students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the undergraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the National Student Survey, the UK Engagement Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in undergraduate student education.
- Proactively monitor data in regard to student retention and recommend actions to be taken to enhance student retention.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL
- Composition & Membership
Convener: Professor Alison Jenkinson
Clerk: Pat Rowand
Tel: 01224 273387
- The Committee will be convened by one of the two Deans of Undergraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis.
- Deans of Undergraduate Studies (Conveners - Shared Role)
- Director of Teaching from each School (or nominee) as nominated by Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Careers Service (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Vacant (Dean of UG Studies)
- Professor A Jenkinson (Dean of UG Studies)
- Dr J Bohan
- Dr J Borg-Barthet
- Dr E Bain
- Professor A Denison
- Dr A Graham
- Dr W Harrison
- Dr G Hough
- Dr T Baker
- Professor WD McCausland
- Professor G McEwan
- Dr T Mighall
- Professor M Pinard
- Dr A Widfeldt
- Miss I Drdakova (AUSA Representative)
- Miss J Paneva (AUSA Representative)
- Mrs T Innes
- Mrs Natalie Kinchin-Williams
- Dr J Perkins
- Clerk: Mrs P Rowand(Registry)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am - 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
17 September 2018
12 November 2018
23 January 2019
25 February 2019
26 April 2019
Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Arts)
- - - - - Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Science) Professor Alison Jenkinson Present Present Present Present Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Professor Michelle Pinard Present Present Apologies Dr G Norton attended Present School Representative (Business School) Professor W David McCausland Present Present Present Apologies Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Dr Gerry Hough Apologies Present Present Present Present School Representative (Education) Dr Archie Graham Present Present Present Present Present School Representative (Engineering) Dr Euan Bain Present Present Present Present Apologies School Representative (Geosciences) Dr Tim Mighall Present Present Present Present Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Dr Tim Baker Present Present Present Present Apologies School Representative (Law)
Dr Justin Borg-Barthet
Present Present Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Professor Gordon McEwan Apologies Professor S Davies attended Present Dr G Shewan attended Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Professor Alan Denison Apologies Present Apologies Present Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) Dr William Harrison Present Present Present Present Present School Representative (Psychology)
Dr Jason Bohan
Present Apologies Present Present Apologies School Representative (Social Sciences) Dr Anders Widfelt Present Present Dr R Wilkie attended Present Present
Education Officer (Students' Association)
Students' Association Representative (from Dec 18)
Mrs Donna Connelly
Miss Ivana Drdakova (from Dec 18)
Present Present Present Present Apologies
Students' Association Representative
Miss Jasmine Paneva Apologies Present Present Present Present Library Representative Mr Ewan Grant Apologies Present Present Present Miss S Mccourt attended
Clerk Mrs Pat Rowand Present Present Present Present Present Centre for Academic Development Representative Dr Joy Perkins Present Present Present Present Present Head of the Careers Services
Mrs Tracey Innes
Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Relationship Manager, IT Services Mrs N Kinchin-Williams Present Present Apologies Vice-Principal (Learning and Teaching) Professor Peter McGeorge Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Dean of Quality Assurance Professor Kath Shennan - Present - - -