The next meeting of the Undergraduate Committee will be held on Thursday, 6 February at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2, University Office.
Mrs P Rowand, Undergraduate Committee Clerk
(Extn: 3387; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 5 November 2019 (UG/060220/001)
2. Matters Arising 3. Committee Remit and Role Descriptor (UG/060220/002) Members are invited to note the Undergraduate Committee’s remit and the role descriptor for the Undergraduate Committee 4. Late Submission of Work Policy (UG/060202/003) Members are invited to consider and approve the recommendations contained in the attached paper regarding the penalties to be applied for unauthorised late submission of course work. The policy would apply from Academic Year 2020-21 onwards. 5. Personal Tutors Verbal Report from Chair 6. AOCB
7. Senate Digest Committee members are invited to note the contents of the Senate Digest for the 9 December 2019 meeting of Senate. 8. University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) Committee members’ attention is drawn to the agendas for the 12 November 2019 and 15 January 2020 meetings of the UCTL. 9. Date of Next Meetings Members are asked to note that the next meeting of the Committee is scheduled to take place on Monday, 23 March 2020 in Committee Room 2, University Office
- Previous Agendas
- 20 March 2020
- 6 February 2020
- 5 November 2019
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the undergraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides a forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated.
Specifically the Undergraduate Committee will:
- Maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Maintain strategic oversight of the arrangements for the induction and transition of new entrants to the University.
- Support the work of the Careers Service in promoting activities to support employability and provide co-curricular opportunities for students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the undergraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the National Student Survey, the UK Engagement Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in undergraduate student education.
- Proactively monitor data in regard to student retention and recommend actions to be taken to enhance student retention.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Abbe Brown
Clerk: Pat Rowand
Tel: 01224 273387
- The Committee will be convened by one of the two Deans of Undergraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis.
- Deans of Undergraduate Studies (Conveners - Shared Role)
- Director of Teaching from each School (or nominee) as nominated by Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Careers Service (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Abbe Brown (Chair)
- Jason Bohan
- Justin Borg-Barthet
- Euan Bain
- Archie Graham
- William Harrison
- Gerry Hough
- Shona Potts
- W David McCausland
- Gordon McEwan
- Tim Mighall
- Michelle Pinard
- Anders Widfeldt
- Dariya Koleva (AUSA Representative)
- Vacant (AUSA Representative)
- Ewan Grant
- Tracey Innes
- Natalie Kinchin-Williams
- Joy Perkins
- Clerk: Pat Rowand (Registry)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am - 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
Membership: 5 November 2019 6 February 2020 20 March 2020 Chair and Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Science)
Abbe Brown from January 2020
Present Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Michelle Pinard Claire Trinder attended Present School Representative (Business School) W David McCausland Apologies Apologies School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Gerry Hough Present Present School Representative (Education) Archie Graham Apologies Apologies School Representative (Engineering) Euan Bain Present Present School Representative (Geosciences) Tim Mighall Present Present School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Shona Potts Apologies Present School Representative (Law)
Present Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Gordon McEwan Present Apologies School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) William Harrison Apologies Present School Representative (Psychology)
Present Apologies School Representative (Social Sciences) Stuart Durkin Apologies Present
Students' Association Representative
- Fiona Gyoeri attended
Students' Association Representative
tbc - - Library Representative Ewan Grant Apologies Present
Clerk Pat Rowand Present Present Centre for Academic Development Representative Joy Perkins Apologies Apologies Head of the Careers Services
Sandi Thomson attended Present Relationship Manager, IT Services Natalie Kinchin-Williams Apologies Apologies Vice-Principal (Learning and Teaching)
Ruth Taylor from December 2019
Apologies Apologies Craig Stewart Minute Secretary Present Present