A meeting of the Senate Business Committee will be held at 9.35 a.m. on Thursday 22 April 2021 via Teams
1. Approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 8 February 2021 SBC20-21:13 2. Draft Agenda for the meeting of the Senate on 12 May 2021 SBC20-21:14 3. Senate Elecctions SBC20-21:15 4. Students’ Progress Committee Convenor On the recommendation of the Heads of School for Biological Sciences, Geosciences, Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition, Natural & Computing Sciences and Psychology, the Committee is asked to approve Michelle Pinard as Convenor for the Student Progress Committee for Science. 5. Dates of meetings in 2021022
The Committee is invited to note the dates of the meetings to be held in 2021/22:
- Wednesday 15 September 2021 at 10.00 a.m.
- Wednesday 3 November 2021 at 3.00 p.m.
- Tuesday 14 December 2021 at 10.00 a.m.
- Thursday 17 February 2022 at 10.00 a.m.
- Tuesday 12 April 2022 at 10.00 a.m.
The Senate Business Committee has a primary role to agree Senate agendas. In order to engage Senate in open debate, the Senate Business Committee also identifies for each meeting of Senate at least one major strategic topic for discussion.
The Committee has delegated responsibility from the Senate to approve the appointment of Senate members or representatives to University Committees and the schedule for Senate elections.
The primary role of the Senate Business Committee is to agree Senate agendas.
In order to engage Senate in open debate and to inform future policy and development by sub-committees for subsequent approval by the Senate, it has been agreed that the Senate Business Committee should identify at least one topic for discussion of a major strategic issue at each Senate meeting. This would not preclude such topics being included on the agenda ad hoc in response to, in particular, national consultations and major issues that emerged during the course of an academic year that the University should address.
The Senate Business Committee, in drafting Senate agendas, should also decide, as deemed appropriate whether an external speaker (e.g. from the Scottish Funding Council, the Scottish Executive, Universities Scotland, the Higher Education Academy) should be invited to address the Senate on a topic of current interest or debate within the HE sector.
The Senate Business Committee is also asked to determine the timing of consideration, by the Senate, of annual reports from the Senior Vice-Principal, the central Vice-Principals and the University Secretary..
- Composition & Membership
Composition and Quorum
- The Senior Vice-Principal (Chair)
- University Secretary
- The Senate Assessors on the Policy and Resources Committee
- Eight elected members of Senate elected for a two year term of office
- The Chairs of the following Committees:
- University Committee on Teaching and Learning
- Quality Assurance Sub-Committee of UCTL
- Undergraduate Sub-Committee of UCTL
- Postgraduate (Taught) Sub-Committee of UCTL
- Research Policy Committee
- Dean of Graduate School
- President of the Students' Association
- AUSA Rep (nominated by Student President)
Membership for 2020/21
- Karl Leydecker
- Tracey Slaven
- Neil Vargesson
- Ruth Taylor
- Kath Shennan
- Abbe Brown
- Kirsty Kiezebrink
- Marion Campbell
- Graeme Nixon
- Ondrej Kucerak
- Javier González Cuervos
- Iain McEwan (until September2021)
- Amy Bryzgel (until September 2021)
- Scott Styles (until September 2021)
- Allan Sim (until September 2021)
- Cheryl Dowie (until September 2022)
- Georgios Leontidis (until September 2022)
- Clerk: Rachael Bernard
Attendance Records - 2020/21
Membership 11 November 2020 13 January 2021 18 February 2021 22 April 2021 Senior Vice-Principal and Chair Karl Leydecker Present Present Present Present University Secretary
Tracey Slaven from January 2021
Present Present Apologies Present Vice-Chair for Education (AUSA) Javier González Cuervos Apologies Present Apologies Present Vice-President for Education (AUSA) Ondrej Kucerak Present Present Apologies Present Convener of the University Committee on Teaching and Learning
Present Present Present Present Convener of the Quality Assurance Committee Kath Shennan Present Present Present Present Convener of the Research Policy Committee Marion Campbell Apologies Present Present Present Convener of the Undergraduate Committee
Apologies Present Present Present Convener of the Postgraduate (Taught) Committee
Present Present Apologies Present Dean of the Graduate School Graeme Nixon Present Present Present Present Elected Member of Senate Cheryl Dowie Present Present Present Present Elected Member of Senate Georgios Leontidis Present Present Present Present Elected Member of Senate Scott Styles Present Present Apologies Apologies Elected Member of Senate Iain McEwan Present Present Present Present Elected Member of Senate Vacant - - - - Elected Member of Senate Amy Bryzgel Apologies Present Present Apologies Elected Member of Senate Allan Sim Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Elected Member of Senate Vacant - - ; - Senate Assessor on Policy and Resources Committee Vacant - - ; - Senate Assessor on Policy and Resources Committee Vacant - - - - Clerk Rachael Bernard Present Present Present Present
2020-21 2019-20 2018-19 2017-18