POSTGRADUATE COMMITTEE (TAUGHT)
A meeting of the Postgraduate Taught Committee will be held on Thursday12 December 2019 at 2.00pm, in the Committee Room 2, University Office.
Robert Findlay, Postgraduate Committee (Taught) Clerk
(Extn: 3631; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Minutes of the Meeting held on 24 October 2019 PGC/121219/001
2. Matters Arising 3. Convenor’s Remarks 4. Library Management System Upgrade Update Oral item 5. Postgraduate Taught Student Experience PGC/121219/002 The Committee is invited to discuss responses from Schools to the 2019 PGT Student Experience Survey and enhancement action plans for 2020. 6. Progression in Flexible PGT Programmes PGC/121219003 The Committee is asked to approve a change of guidance in regard to progression through a PGT programme, enabling students to take alternative elective courses to make up credit from failed elective courses 7. Resits for PGT Projects/Dissertations PGC/121219/004 The Committee is invited to discuss a proposed change to enable resits for PGT projects/dissertations. 8. Late Submission of Work Policy PGC/121219/005 The Committee is invited to discuss the paper on late submission of work that will go to Senate on 9 December 2019. The paper was updated following comments from both the Undergraduate Committee and Postgraduate Committee (Taught). 9. AOCB
10. New Entrants for September 2019 PGC/121219/006 11. Dates of Next Meetings
The Committee is asked to note that meetings of the Committee for the 2019/2020 academic year are scheduled as follows:-
- Tuesday, 6 February 2019 in Court Room, University Office
- Wednesday, 25 March 2020 in Committee Room 2, University Office
- Previous Agendas
- 25 March 2020
- 4 February 2020
- 9 December 2019
- 24 October 2019
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the postgraduate taught academic student experience. The Committee provides an inter-School forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated. Specifically the Postgraduate Committee (Taught) will:
- Discuss, formulate and promote strategic initiatives that enhance the recruitment of taught postgraduates and which contribute to and support attainment of the University's objectives.
- Offer strategic advice on the University's provision of taught postgraduate programmes in order to support continued growth and development and to maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Support the creation and development of a high level skills and employability training framework for postgraduate taught students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the taught postgraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from any relevant internal and external student satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in taught postgraduate student education.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Kirsty Kiezebrink
Clerk: Robert Findlay
Tel: 01224 273631
Convener and Adminstrative Support Area-
- Convener: The Committee will be convened by a Dean to be appointed by the UCTL
- Clerk: Directorate of Academic and Student Affairs (Registry)
- Dean (Convenor)
- Dean of Postgraduate Research School
- One member of academic staff nominated by Heads of School with responsibility for Postgraduate Matters
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
Membership for 2019/20
- Ekaterina Pavlovskaia
- Graeme Nixon
- Sarah Woodin
- Alan Sim
- Karin Friedrich
- Sandra Paterson
- Peter Hicks
- David Muirhead
- Amy Bryzgel
- Anne-Michelle Slater
- Donna Maccallum
- Jaroslaw Kedra
- Sandie Cleland
- Robert Wishart
- tbc (AUSA Rep)
- tbc (AUSA Rep)
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
Robert Findlay (Clerk)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Postgraduate Committee (Taught)
24 October 2019
12 December 2019
6 February 2020
25 March 2020
Chair and Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Science
Ekaterina Pavlovskaia Present Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Arts Vacant Dean of Graduate School
Apologies School Representative (Biological Sciences) Sarah Woodin Present School Representative (Business School) Allan Sim Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy)
Present School Representative (Education) Sandra Paterson Present School Representative (Engineering)
Present School Representative (Geosciences) David Muirhead Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Amy Bryzgel Present School Representative (Law) Anne-Michelle Slater Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Donna Maccallum Apologies School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences)
Apologies School Representative (Psychology)
Present School Representative (Social Sciences) Robert Wishart Apologies Students' Association Representative
Students' Association Representative Vacant Apologies Library Representative Janet MacKay Apologies
Clerk (Registry Officer) Roberty Findlay Present Centre for Academic Development Colin Calder Present IT Relationship Manager Natalie Kinchin-Williams Present