POSTGRADUATE COMMITTEE (TAUGHT)
A meeting of the Postgraduate Taught Committee will be held on Wednesday 6 May 2020 at 11.00 a.m., via Microsoft Teams.
Robert Findlay, Postgraduate Committee (Taught) Clerk
(Extn: 3631; E-mail: email@example.com)
1. Minutes of the Meeting held on 6 February 2020 PGC/060520/001
2. Matters Arising 3. Convenor’s Remarks 4. Measures Resulting from COVID-19 4.1 Revised Assessment and Graduation Dates PGC/060520/002 The Committee is asked to discuss the paper outlining changes to assessment and term dates that was approved by the University Committee on Teaching and Learning on 22 April 2020. 4.2 January Start Programmes Oral item Schools were asked to submit proposals to run existing September programmes with additional January entry points. The Committee is invited to discuss any related issues, in particular concerns raised about the timing of the dissertation/project. 5. PGT Programme Development Group Update Oral Item 6. AOCB
7. Senate Digest The Committee are invited to view the digest from the last Senate held on 5 February 2020: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/governance/senate/senate-digest/index.php#panel4582 8. Dates of Next Meetings The Committee is asked to note that the Committee will next meet on Monday, 15 June 2020 via Microsoft Teams.
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the postgraduate taught academic student experience. The Committee provides an inter-School forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated. Specifically the Postgraduate Committee (Taught) will:
- Discuss, formulate and promote strategic initiatives that enhance the recruitment of taught postgraduates and which contribute to and support attainment of the University's objectives.
- Offer strategic advice on the University's provision of taught postgraduate programmes in order to support continued growth and development and to maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Support the creation and development of a high level skills and employability training framework for postgraduate taught students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the taught postgraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from any relevant internal and external student satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in taught postgraduate student education.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Kirsty Kiezebrink
Clerk: Robert Findlay
Tel: 01224 273631
Convener and Adminstrative Support Area
- Convener: The Committee will be convened by a Dean to be appointed by the UCTL
- Clerk: Directorate of Academic and Student Affairs (Registry)
- Dean (Convenor)
- Dean of Postgraduate Research School
- One member of academic staff nominated by Heads of School with responsibility for Postgraduate Matters
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
Membership for 2019/20
- Kirsty Kiezebrink
- Graeme Nixon
- Sarah Woodin
- Allan Sim
- Phil Ziegler
- Sandra Paterson
- Peter Hicks
- David Green
- Amy Bryzgel
- Anne-Michelle Slater
- Donna Maccallum
- Jaroslaw Kedra
- Sandie Cleland
- Robert Wishart
- Dariya Koleva (AUSA Rep)
- tbc (AUSA Rep)
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Natalie Kinchin-Williams (IT Representative)
- Janet MacKay (Library Representative)
- Robert Findlay (Clerk)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Postgraduate Committee (Taught)
24 October 2019
12 December 2019
6 February 2020
6 May 2020
Present Present Present
Dean of Graduate School
Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Biological Sciences) Sarah Woodin Present Present Present Present School Representative (Business School) Allan Sim Present Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy)
Phil Zieglelr from May 2020
Present Present Present Present School Representative (Education) Sandra Paterson Present Apologies Present Present School Representative (Engineering)
Present Present Present Present School Representative (Geosciences) David Muirhead Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Amy Bryzgel Present Apologies Apologies Present School Representative (Law) Anne-Michelle Slater Present Present Present Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Donna Maccallum Apologies Present Present Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences)
Apologies Apologies Apologies Present School Representative (Psychology)
Present Present Present Present School Representative (Social Sciences) Robert Wishart Apologies Present Present Present Students' Association Representative
Dariya Koleva (from 2020)
- - Present Apologies Students' Association Representative Vacant - - - - Library Representative Janet MacKay Apologies Apologies Present Present
Clerk (Registry Officer) Roberty Findlay Present Present Present Present Centre for Academic Development Colin Calder Present Present Apologies Apologies IT Relationship Manager Natalie Kinchin-Williams Present Present Apologies Apologies Minute Secretary (from December 2019) Kerry Harrision - Present Present Present