UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN
POSTGRADUATE COMMITTEE (TAUGHT)
A meeting of the Postgraduate Committee will be held on Friday 16 March 2018 at 2.00pm, in the Committee Room 2, University Office.
Robert Findlay, Postgraduate Committee (Taught) Clerk
(Extn: 3631; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Minutes of the Meeting held on 15 January 2018 - PGC/160318/022
- Matters Arising
- Convenor’s Remarks
- Enhancement Led Institutional Review Update - Oral update
- PGT Student Experience Update - PGC/160318/023
The Committee is asked to discuss feedback from Schools to results of the 2017 PTES survey, and to note a paper from the working group on PGT student experience, which was submitted for information to Senate on 21 February 2018.
- Timing of Dissertation/Project for January PGT Programmes - PGC/160318/024
Following discussions had at the meeting on 15 January 2018 (minute 9.1 refers), School representatives were asked to consider the issues surrounding the timing of dissertations/projects for January start PGT programmes and to feedback to the clerk. The Committee is asked to consider those responses.
- Transnational Education (TNE) Procedure - PGC/160318/025
The Committee is asked to discuss for new procedures relating to TNE, proposed by a working group established by Senate. The current procedures have ben included as an appendix, but a copy of the current TNE procedures can be found at: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/documents/Delivery_Partners_Policies_and_Procedures_seante_approved_250117.pdf
- SFC Analysis of HEI Annual Return - PGC/160318/026
The Committee is asked to discuss the analysis of the annual institutional statements submitted to the Scottish Funding Council (SFC) by each Scottish Higher Education Institution (HEI). The Committee is asked to identify aspects of good and/or innovative practice at other Institutions that the University may wish to further explore.
The Committee are advised that the University is specifically referred to in sections 12, 13, 30, 45, 48, 53, 55 and 57 of the analysis.
- Honours Classification Method: Comparison of GS Vs GPA - PGC/160318/027
This paper aims to inform a decision regarding the method of classifying Honours degrees from Academic Year 2018-19. The paper talks about Honours classification at an Undergraduate level. The Committee is asked to consider the implications for Postgraduate degree classification.
- Code of Practice on Student Discipline - PGC/160318/028
The Committee is asked to approve changes to the Code of Practice on Student Discipline (Academic). The proposed changes relate primarily to the treatment of offences of Plagiarism and how these are resolved at School level.
- Discussion of Postgraduate Taught Regulation Issues in the Business School - PGC/160318/029
The Committee is asked to discuss issues raised by the Business School with regard to late arrivals, student monitoring, exams and exam boards, and degree classifications.
- Any other business
FOR ROUTINE APPROVAL
- Changes to Degree Regulations – Omnibus - PGC/160318/030
- Sector Updates
The Committee is asked to note, and disseminate as appropriate, the following recent sector updates:
QAA Scotland has published its annual report, highlighting achievements and key events from 2016-17. The report includes details of the launch of the current Enhancement Theme - Evidence for Enhancement, as well as the revised review method in Scotland and Focus On: Institution-led Review and Postgraduate Student Experience projects.
The QAA have launched revised guidance intended to inform, enhance and promote the development of Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Education across UK higher education. This guidance, led by Professor Andrew Penaluna of the International Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship, reflects current thinking and practice in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Education.
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the postgraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides an inter-School forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated. Specifically the Postgraduate Committee (Taught) will:
- Discuss, formulate and promote strategic initiatives that enhance the recruitment of postgraduates and which contribute to and support attainment of the University's objectives.
- Offer strategic advice on the University's provision of postgraduate programmes in order to support continued growth and development and to maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Support the creation and development of a high level skills and employability training framework for postgraduate taught students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the postgraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the Postgraduate Taught and Research Experience Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in postgraduate student education.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Convener: Professor C Kee
Clerk: Mr Robert Findlay
Tel: 01224 273631
- The Committee will be convened by a Dean for Postgraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis
- Dean of Graduate School
- One member of academic staff nominated by Heads of School with responsibility for Postgraduate Matters
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
Membership for 2016/17
- Dr M Ehrenschwendtner
- Professor C Kee
- Dr A Kindness
- Dr A Bryzgel
- Dr D Maccallum
- Professor J Masthoff
- Dr A McKinnon
- Dr D Muirhead
- Profesor J Nelson
- Ms S Paterson
- Professor E Pavlovskaia
- Dr M Bodig
- Dr D M Sutherland
- Mr R Williams
- Dr S Woodin
- AUSA Rep
- AUSA Rep
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Developmemt (or nominee)
Mr R Findlay (Clerk)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Postgraduate Committee (Taught)
15 January 2018
16 March 2018
Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Arts
Professor Christopher Kee Present Present Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Science Professor Ekaterina Pavlovskaia Present Apologies Dean of Graduate School Professor Judith Masthoff Present Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Dr Sarah Woodin Present Present School Representative (Business School) Mr Russell Williams Present Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Dr Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner Present Present School Representative (Education) Ms Sandra Paterson Present Present School Representative (Engineering) Professor John Nelson Present Present School Representative (Geosciences) Dr David Muirhead Present Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Dr Amy Bryzgel Present Present School Representative (Law) Dr Matyas Bodig Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Dr Donna Maccallum Present Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) Dr Nigel Beacham Apologies Present School Representative (Psychology) Dr David Sutherland Apologies Apologies School Representative (Social Sciences) Dr Andrew Mackinnon Present Apologies Students' Association Representative Ms Kirsty Paterson-Hunter Present Apologies Students' Association Representative Mr Kevin Oliver
Clerk (Registry Officer) Mr Roberty Findlay Present Present Chair of Feedback and Assessment Task Force Dr Tim Baker Present Centre for Academic Development Dr Colin Calder Present Present IT Relationship Manager Mrs Natalie Kinchin-Williams Present Present
- 16 March 2018
- 8 January 2018
- 1 November 2017