UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN
POSTGRADUATE COMMITTEE (TAUGHT)
A meeting of the Postgraduate Committee will be held on Wednesday 14 November 2018 at 2.00pm, in the Court Room, University Office.
Robert Findlay, Postgraduate Committee (Taught) Clerk
(Extn: 3631; E-mail: email@example.com)
1. Minutes of the Meeting held on 3 October 2018 PGC/141118/001
2. Matters Arising 3. Convenor’s Remarks 4. Committee Member Role Descriptors PGC/141118/002 Role descriptors have been created for members of the Quality Assurance Committee. Members are invited to consider whether the creation of role descriptors should be extended to all Committees. 5. Enhancement-Led Institutional Review Update and Draft Schedule PGC/141118/003 6. Update on the Evaluation of Taught Postgraduate Student Experience PGC/141118/004 (to follow) 7. Update on Review of Policies and Practices for Accessible and Inclusive Learning PGC/141118/005 Members are invited to discuss the contents of this paper and provide comments on the best method of obtaining School representation in the Working Group. 8. Feedback from SCEF Working Group PGC/141118/006 (to follow) Members are invited to discuss feedback from the SCEF working group. 9. Review of Pilot of New Internal Teaching Review (ITR) Process PGC/141118/007 10. Any Other Business 11. Date of Next Meeting The next meeting of the Committee will be held on Wednesday 16 January 2019 at 2pm in Committee Room 2.
12. Honours Weighting in Degree Classification/Borderlines Update PGC/141118/008 The Committee is invited to note a paper discussing the weighting of years 3 and 4 honours classification, and, in particular the discussion on borderline classifications, which might have implications for PGT degree classifications. This paper will be presented to Senate for discussion only. Following a discussion at Senate, a revised proposal on the issue of borderline classifications will be submitted to the PGT Committee for approval at a later date.
- Previous Agendas
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the postgraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides an inter-School forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated. Specifically the Postgraduate Committee (Taught) will:
- Discuss, formulate and promote strategic initiatives that enhance the recruitment of postgraduates and which contribute to and support attainment of the University's objectives.
- Offer strategic advice on the University's provision of postgraduate programmes in order to support continued growth and development and to maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Support the creation and development of a high level skills and employability training framework for postgraduate taught students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the postgraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the Postgraduate Taught and Research Experience Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in postgraduate student education.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Convener: Professor C Kee
Clerk: Mr Robert Findlay
Tel: 01224 273631
- The Committee will be convened by a Dean for Postgraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis
- Deans for Postgraduate Studies
- Dean of Postgraduate Research School
- One member of academic staff nominated by Heads of School with responsibility for Postgraduate Matters
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
Membership for 2017/18
- Dr M Ehrenschwendtner
- Professor C Kee
- Dr N Beacham
- Dr A Bryzgel
- Dr D Maccallum
- Professor J Masthoff
- Dr A McKinnon
- Dr D Muirhead
- Professor J Nelson
- Ms S Paterson
- Professor E Pavlovskaia
- Dr M Bodig
- Dr A Cleland
- Mr R Williams
- Dr S Woodin
- Mrs D Connolly (AUSA Rep)
- Mr B Kirectepe (AUSA Rep)
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Developmemt (or nominee)
Mr R Findlay (Clerk)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Postgraduate Committee (Taught)
3 October 2018
14 November 2018
16 January 2019
27 February 2019
1 May 2019
Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Arts
Professor Christopher Kee Present Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Science Professor Ekaterina Pavlovskaia Present Dean of Graduate School
Professor Graeme Nixon
Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Dr Sarah Woodin Present School Representative (Business School) Dr Allan Sim Apologies School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Dr Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner Present School Representative (Education) Ms Sandra Paterson Present School Representative (Engineering)
Professor John Nelson
Apologies School Representative (Geosciences) Dr David Muirhead Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Dr Amy Bryzgel Present School Representative (Law) Dr Matyas Bodig Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Dr Donna Maccallum Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) Dr Nigel Beacham Apologies School Representative (Psychology)
Dr Sandie Cleland
Present School Representative (Social Sciences) Dr Andrew Mackinnon Present Students' Association Representative
Mrs Donna Connolly
Apologies Students' Association Representative Vacant Library Representative Ms Janet MacKay Present
Clerk (Registry Officer) Mr Roberty Findlay Present Centre for Academic Development Dr Colin Calder Present IT Relationship Manager Mrs Natalie Kinchin-Williams Present Director of Planning Dr Hulda Sveinsdottir Present - - - -