UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN
POSTGRADUATE COMMITTEE (TAUGHT)
A meeting of the Postgraduate Committee will be held on Monday 15 January 2018 at 2.00pm, in the Court Room, University Office.
Robert Findlay, Postgraduate Committee (Taught) Clerk
(Extn: 3631; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Minutes of the Meeting held on 1 November 2017 (PGC/150118/015 )
2. Matters Arising
3. Convenor’s Remarks
4. Institutional Framework for Feedback on Assessment (PGC/150118/016)
The Committee is asked to discuss a draft paper from the Feedback and Assessment Task Force, presented by Dr Baker.
5. MyAberdeen Exemplary Course Design (PGC/150118/017)
The Committee is asked to approve a rubric for exemplary course design within MyAberdeen.
6. Update from PGT Student Experience Working Group (PGC/150118/018)
The Committee will receive a verbal update from the PGT Student Experience Working Group. Also attached are the results of the 2017 PTES Survey.
7. Update to code of Practice on Student Discipline (PGC/150118/019)
The Committee is asked to discuss proposed changes to the Code of Practice on Student Discipline (Academic). The proposed change relates to the treatment of suspected offences of Plagiarism and how these are resolved at School level.
8. Lecture Capture Policy (PGC150118/020)
9. Review of Policies and Practices for Accessible and Inclusive Learning (PGC/150118/021)
The Committee is asked to discuss a paper regarding a review of policies and practices for accessible and inclusive learning.
10. Any other business
11. Date of Next Meeting
The Committee will next meet on 16 March 2018, in Committee Room 2.
To be responsible to the UCTL for oversight of the postgraduate academic student experience. The Committee provides an inter-School forum to facilitate and encourage the development of appropriate strategy and also discusses and promotes relevant developments, whether internally driven or externally indicated. Specifically the Postgraduate Committee (Taught) will:
- Discuss, formulate and promote strategic initiatives that enhance the recruitment of postgraduates and which contribute to and support attainment of the University's objectives.
- Offer strategic advice on the University's provision of postgraduate programmes in order to support continued growth and development and to maintain an appropriate system of student academic and pastoral support.
- Support the creation and development of a high level skills and employability training framework for postgraduate taught students.
- Develop and promote specific innovations, embracing new pedagogies and technologies, in support of the enhancement of the postgraduate experience.
- Consider and recommend approval for any specific developments or initiatives which could have substantial implications for University strategy or policy or for University level services and/or operations.
- Proactively engage with any high level issues or themes arising from the Postgraduate Taught and Research Experience Survey, the International Student Barometer, and other relevant internal and external satisfaction surveys.
- Engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in postgraduate student education.
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Convener: Professor C Kee
Clerk: Mr Robert Findlay
Tel: 01224 273631
- The Committee will be convened by a Dean for Postgraduate Studies to be appointed by the UCTL on a two year rotating basis
- Dean of Graduate School
- One member of academic staff nominated by Heads of School with responsibility for Postgraduate Matters
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students' Association
Membership for 2016/17
- Dr M Ehrenschwendtner
- Professor C Kee
- Dr A Kindness
- Dr A Bryzgel
- Dr D Maccallum
- Professor J Masthoff
- Dr A McKinnon
- Dr D Muirhead
- Profesor J Nelson
- Ms S Paterson
- Professor E Pavlovskaia
- Dr M Bodig
- Dr D M Sutherland
- Mr R Williams
- Dr S Woodin
- AUSA Rep
- AUSA Rep
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Developmemt (or nominee)
Mr R Findlay (Clerk)
The Committee will meet at least three times per year in advance of meetings of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Postgraduate Committee (Taught)
15 January 2018
16 March 2018
Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Arts
Professor Christopher Kee Present Dean of Postgraduate (Taught) Science Professor Ekaterina Pavlovskaia Present Dean of Graduate School Professor Judith Masthoff Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Dr Sarah Woodin Present School Representative (Business School) Mr Russell Williams Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Dr Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner Present School Representative (Education) Ms Sandra Paterson Present School Representative (Engineering) Professor John Nelson Present School Representative (Geosciences) Dr David Muirhead Present School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Dr Amy Bryzgel Present School Representative (Law) Dr Matyas Bodig Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Dr Donna Maccallum Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) Dr Nigel Beacham Apologies School Representative (Psychology) Dr David Sutherland Apologies School Representative (Social Sciences) Dr Andrew Mackinnon Present Students' Association Representative Ms Kirsty Paterson-Hunter Present Students' Association Representative Mr Kevin Oliver
Clerk (Registry Officer) Mr Roberty Findlay Present Chair of Feedback and Assessment Task Force Dr Tim Baker Present Centre for Academic Development Dr Colin Calder Present IT Relationship Manager Mrs Natalie Kinchin-Williams Present
- 16 March 2018
- 8 January 2018
- 1 November 2017