John B. Chapman (1875 - 1949) graduated from Aberdeen University in 1897, and subsequently made his career at County Hall, London, as HM Inspector of Schools.
His circle of friends encompassed the leading British literary figures of the first three decades of the twentieth century. These authors frequently presented Chapman with copies of their works.
In 1955 Aberdeen University received as a gift the letters and papers of Chapman (AU MS 2265), which include considerable correspondence with his friends Edmund Blunden, H. E. Bates, A. E. Coppard, T. F. Powys and Walter de la Mare.
In 1961, the University was able to acquire Chapman’s collection of approx. 1,000 books.
This collection consists of many first editions, often the products of private presses. Over 200 volumes are from limited editions, and some 350 books are signed or inscribed by the author.
A. E. Coppard, Cherry Ripe: Poems Brockweir, Chepstow: Tintern P., 1935. Edition limited to 150 numbered copies. Engraving by Sylvia Marshall.