Fraser, Alexander, of Philorth.
Biography: Founder of Fraserburgh. Educated Edinburgh. Laird of Philorth 1569. Built a port at Faithlie (now Fraserburgh) 1579, established as a burgh of barony and free port 1588, became burgh of regality of Fraserburgh 1592. Granted a charter to establish a college and university there 1592. Granted the patronage of Tyrie and Rathen churches for the university's use 1593. Knighted 1594. Erected a new parish church next to family residence Fraserburgh Castle, Kinnaird Head (later a lighthouse and now Museum of Scottish Lighthouses). Elected commissioner to parliament for Aberdeenshire 1596. Parliament voted to support his university 1597. General assembly recommended Charles Ferme (regent at Edinburgh) to be its principal, approved 1600. University failed due to Ferme's intermittent imprisonment and attendance of General Assembly. Died Fraserburgh 1623.
From Provenance Catalogue: Sir Alexander Fraser obtained permission to erect a university college at the village, now town, of Fraserburgh, in 1592. It opened in 1600 and functioned til 1605. Later it housed King's College students while the plague was in Aberdeen. See Rait, Robert Sangster: The universities of Aberdeen. Aberdeen, 1895.
Biography Date: 1527-1623
Biography References: DNB;
Items 3 Ordered by Owner, Z - A