Aberdeen Medico-Chirurgical Society

Biography: The Aberdeen Medical Society was founded in 1789, by students unhappy with the quality of their teaching. This evolved into the postgraduate Aberdeen Medico-Chirurgical Society in 1811. A subscription list was opened in 1812, to enable the Society to build their own hall. The building, designed by Archibald Simpson, opened on King Street in 1820. The society built up a library of rare and valuable books, but a large part of this was sold in 1967. The hall in King Street was sold off shortly afterwards, and the Society moved to a new building on the Foresterhill site in 1973. The society retains some local material relating to medical history, such as papers delivered to the Society, minutes, casebooks and students' notes, as well as some medical instruments and artifacts.




See: http://www.med-chi.co.uk/heritage/history.html

http://www.med-chi.co.uk/heritage/work-achievements.html


Book List

Items 2 Ordered by Publication_place, Z - A