CINEFOGO (2005-2009) “Civil Society and New Forms of Governance in Europe – the Making of European Citizenship” European Commission, Sixth Framework programme, Network of Excellence
DG Employment and Social Affairs (2005-2006) (European Commission) European Observatory on Social Cohesion, Trust and Social Participation
Quality of Life is of great interest to the European Commission and we have been involved in a number of reports analysing the European Quality of Life Survey for the European Foundation for Living and Working Conditions (Eurofound). The reports are on the publication page.
In addition, our CCN+ project which focuses upon digital technologies is embedded within a Societal Quality context.
People associated with this theme include Pamela Abbott, Roger Sapsford and Katie Vincent.
- PhD Theses
Florian Pichler (2006) University of Aberdeen “To be or not to be, European: the meanings of European identity from the people’s perspective” University of Aberdeen.
Wallace, C., Abbott, P., & Sapsford, R. (2016). The decent society: Planning for social quality. Routledge. link
Abbott, Pamela & Wallace, Claire & Lin, Ka & Haerpfer, Christian. (2015). The Quality of Society and Life Satisfaction in China. Social Indicators Research. 10.1007/s11205-015-0989-3.
- Decent Societies in Europe: Subjective Evaluations. (2015) European Social Survey (with P.Abbott and R.Sapsford) pdf
Wallace, Claire; Abbott, Pamela. Societal Quality: Towards a way of measuring the quality of society. A presentation ppt
- Wallace, Claire; Abbott, Pamela (forthcoming) “Rising economic prosperity and social quality. The case of the new member states of the European Union” Social Indicators Research 115 (1):419-439.
- Gstrein, Michaela; Mateeva, Liliana; Rodiga-Laßnig, Petra; Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire (2013) "Quality of Life in Europe – Quality of Society and Public Services" Report for Eurofound pdf
- Haerpfer, Christian: Wallace, Claire; Abbott, Pamela (2013) “Health Problems and the Transition from Communism in the Former Soviet Union: Towards an Explanation” Perspectives on European Politics and Societies pdf
- Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire (2012) “Social Quality. A way to measure the quality of society”Social Indicators Research, 108(1): 153-167 pdf
- Wallace, Claire (2012) “Happiness in Kazakhstan” in Selin, H. And Davey, G. “Happiness across Cultures” Amsterdam: Springer
- Wallace, Claire (2012) “Social quality in Rwanda” in Selin, H. And Davey, G. “Happiness across Cultures” Amsterdam: Springer
- Wallace, Claire (2012) “Social Quality, the quality of life and parents with young children in Europe” in Minguez, Almudena Moreno “Family Wellbeing. European Perspectives” Springer Social Indicators Research Series
- Wallace, Claire; Pichler, Florian; Haerpfer, Christian (2012) "Changing patterns of civil society in Europe and America 1995-2005. Is Eastern Europe Different?" East European Politics and Societies 26 (1) 3-19 pdf
- Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire; Sapsford, Roger (2011) “Surviving the transformation: social quality in Central Asia and the Caucasus” Journal of Happiness Studies, 12 (2): 199-223 pdf
- Schuh, Ulrich; Mateeva, Liliana; Gstrein, Michaela; Rodiga-Laßnig, Petra; Michael, Anneliese; Klinglmair, Robert; Wallace, Claire (2011) "Quality of Life in Croatia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Turkey" Report for Eurofound pdf
- Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire (2010) “Explaining Economic and Social Transformations in Post-Soviet Russia, Ukraine and Belarus: The Social Quality Approach” European Societies 12 (5): 653 pdf
- Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire; Mascauteanu, Marianna; Sapsford, Roger (2010) “Youth and concepts of citizenship, social and system integration among young people in post-Soviet Moldova” Journal of Youth Studies 13 (5): 581-596.
- Wallace, Claire; Abbott, Pamela (2010) “Politiques familial et egalite des sexes” Information Sociales Politiques socials et familiales en Grand-Bretagne 159, Mai-Juin : 46-56
- Watson, Dorothy; Pichler, Florian; Wallace, Claire (2010) "Second European Quality of Life Survey: Subjective Wellbeing in Europe" Report for Eurofound pdf
- Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire (2009) “Patterns of Participation in the Formal and Informal Economies of the Commonwealth of Independent States.” International Sociology 39:12 – 38.
- Pichler, Florian; Wallace, Claire (2009) “Social Capital and Social Class in Europe” European Sociological Review 25 (3): 319-332 pdf
- Pichler, Florian; Wallace, Claire (2009) “What are the reasons for differences in job satisfaction across Europe? Individual, compositional and institutional explanations”. European Sociological Review 25: 535-549 pdf
- Rose, Richard; Munro, Neil; Wallace, Claire (2009) "Second European Quality of Life Survey. Quality of Life in Europe 2003-2007" Report for Eurofound pdf
- Wallace, Claire; Benddit, Rene (2009) “Youth policies in Europe. Towards a classification of different tendencies in youth policies in the European Union” Perspectives on European Politics and Societies 10 (3): 441-458
- Wallace, Claire; Pichler, Florian (2009) “More participation, happier society? A comparative Study of civil society and the quality of life” Social Indicators Research 93(2): 255-274. pdf
- Spannring, Reingard; Wallace, Claire; Datler, Georg (2008) “What leads young people to identify with Europe? An exploration of the impact of exposure to Europe and political engagement on European Identity among young Europeans” Perspectives on European Politics and Society 9 (4): 466-479. pdf
- Abbot, Pamela; Wallace (2007) “Talking about Health and Well-Being in Post Soviet Ukraine and Russia” Journal of Communist Studies and Transition Politics 23 (2): 181-202 pdf
- Pichler, Forian; Wallace, Claire (2007) “Bridging and Bonding Social Capital: which is more prevalent in Europe?” European Journal of Social Security 9, (1): 29-54 pdf
- Pichler, Florian; Wallace, Claire (2007) “Patterns of formal and informal social capital in Europe” European Sociological Review, 23 (4) :423-436 pdf
- Wallace, Claire (2007) “ Working conditions and quality of work: a comparison of Eastern and Western Europe” in Alber, J., Fahey, T. and Saraceno, C. Handbook of Quality of Life in Europe Routledge: London and New York
- Wallace, Claire; Abbott, Pamela (2007) “ From Quality of Life to Social Quality: Relevance for work and care in Europe” Calitatea Vietii Revista de Politici Sociale vol XVlll Nr 1-2 pp 109-123 pdf
- Wallace, Claire; Pichler, Florian; Hayes, Bernadette (2007) "First European Quality of Life Survey: Quality of Life and Job Satisfaction" Report for Eurofound pdf
- Abbott, Pamela; Wallace, Claire; Beck, Matthius (2006) “ Chernobyl: Living with risk and uncertainty”. Health, Risk and Society, 8, 105-121. pdf
- Wallace, Claire; Pichler, Florian (2006) “Patterns of Social Capital in Europe” in Gehmacher, E. Kroismayr, S., and Neumueller, J. (eds) Sozialkapital. Neue Zugange zu gesellschaflichen Kraften. Vienna. Mandelbaum Verlag pp 80-92
- Wallace, Claire; Tumanov, Sergei ; Abbott, Pamela (2006) "Health world views of post-soviet citizens”. Social Science and Medicine, 62 (1): 228-238 pdf
- Wallace, Claire; Haerpfer, Christian; Raiser, M (2004) “ Social Capital and Economic Performance in Post-Communist Societies” in Koniordos, S. (ed.) Networks, Trust and Social Capital, Ashgate, Gower.
- Wallace, Claire (2003)“Social Networks and Social Capital“ in Torsello, Davide and Pappova, Melinda (eds) Social Networks in Movement. Time, interaction and interethnic spaces in Central Eastern Europe. Forum Minority Research Institute, Lilium Aurum, Samorin-Dunajska Streda
- Wallace, Claire; Haerpfer, Christian (2002) “ Social capital and economic development in Central and Eastern Europe” in Fischer, Joachim and Gensior, Sabine (editors) Sprungbrett Region? Strukturen und Voraussetzungen vernetzter Geschäftsbeziehungen, Edition Sigma, Berlin.