Head of School
Mervyn Bain was appointed as a Teaching Fellow in June 2004 and in June 2005 he was appointed as a Lecturer. He obtained his undergraduate, Masters and PhD degrees all from the University of Glasgow.
International Diplomatic Relations
Latin America and in particular Cuba
Soviet and Post Soviet Russia
IR1002 Introduction to International Relations
PI3049 Concepts and Approaches to Politics and IR
IR3508 Soviet and Post Soviet Russian Foreign Policy
IR4003 Modern Day Latin America
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 10 of 31
- Bain, MJ 2019, British Economists, Mercantilism and International Trade (XVII – XVIII Centuries). in Latin American Almanac №23 . vol. Number 23, Latin American Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, pp. 277-284.
- Bain, M 2019, Fulgencio Batista and the Soviet Union. in Latin America Almanac . vol. 24, Latin American Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow , pp. 96-104.
- Bain, MJ 2019, Moscow and Havana 1917 to the Present: An Enduring Friendship in an Ever-Changing Global Context. Lexington Studies on Cuba, Lexington Books.
- Bain, MJ 2018, Havana and Moscow in the 1970s; ‘sovietization’ in an era of détente. in EJ Kirk, A Clayfield & I Story (eds), Cuba's Forgotten Decade: How the 1970s Shaped the Revolution. Lexington Series on Cuba, Lexington Books, pp. 23-40.
- Oelsner, A & Bain, MJ 2018, Latin America. in C Haerpfer, P Bernhagen, C Welzel & R Inglehart (eds), Democratization. Second edn, Oxford University Press (OUP), pp. 305-321.
- Bain, MJ 2018, Raúl Castro and Cuban-Russian Relations, 2008-2018. in HM Erisman & JH Kirk (eds), Cuban Foreign Policy: Transformation under Raúl Castro. Rowman and Littlefield.
- Bain, MJ 2018, 'Russo–Cuban Relations in the 1990s', Diplomacy & Statecraft, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 255-273. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09592296.2018.1452431
- Bain, MJ 2017, 'Havana, Moscow and Beijing: Looking to the Future in the Shadow of the Past', Social Research: An International Quarterly, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 507-526.
- Bain, MJ 2017, 'Russia, Cuba and colonial legacies in the twenty-first century', Journal of Transatlantic Studies, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1-17. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14794012.2016.1265346
- Bain, M & Mollinedo, LF 2016, 'Cuba: Trapped by history – Still?', International Politics, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 260-276. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/ip.2015.47