- The University of Aberdeen I'm currently on leave from the University of Aberdeen.
Web LinksA selection of digital resources I have developed:
- Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages
- Pre-Christian Relgions of the North: Sources Database
- Early North Data Service (ENDS)
- Old Norse Teaching Texts (also for touch-screen devices)
- Nottingham Rune Dictionary
- The Third Grammatical Treatise (PhD, 2001)
Other bodies and projects I am active in:
- Centre for Scandinavian Studies (Facebook Page)
- Medieval Nordic Text Archive (Menota)
- The Medieval Unicode Font Initiative (MUFI)
- Department of History
Tarrin Wills is Senior Lecturer in Early Scandinavian Studies, and is Co-Director of the Centre for Scandinavian Studies. He has a BA (hons) and PhD from the University of Sydney. He worked from 2001-7 as a postdoctoral Research Associate on the project Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages, including 18 months as a visiting scholar at Den Arnamagnæanske Samling, University of Copenhagen (2003-4).
Tarrin’s main research interests are in e-research and the study of early Northern Europe, with particular interest in Old Norse language, literature, history and culture. He is closely involved in the project, Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages, and is the only non-Professorial member of the coordinating/editorial board. Tarrin is currently working on understanding medieval literature and history through e-research methods. He has further interests in palaeography; runology and the history of the runology; Old and Middle English; as well as linguistics and discourse analysis. Tarrin is also closely involved in various digitisation projects, and is responsible for the skaldic poetry database at abdn.ac.uk/skaldic. He is also involved in the Medieval Nordic Text Archive (Menota) and the Medieval Unicode Font Initiative (MUFI).
Tarrin is currently working on:
- Early North Data Service (ENDS): a system of integrating the semantic linking, spatial, textual and interpretative data for various projects on early Northern Europe
- The sources database for the Pre-Christian Religions of the North project, and related work on the semantic modelling of the Old Norse world
- A full edition and translation of the Third Grammatical Treatise
- Developing a new lexicon of Old Norse poetry, based on the new skaldic edition.
- Developing a new index of skaldic diction (kenningar and heiti), based on the new edition
- Editions, translations and commentary for the skaldic project, including verses in: Bandamanna saga, Harðar saga, Stjörnu-Odda draumr, Bergbúa þáttr, Kumlbúa þáttr and Draumr Þórsteins Siðuhallssonar
- Understanding male behaviour in Old Norse and Old English literature through behavioural endocrinology, particularly testosterone
- And quite a few other things
- Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages
- Pre-Christian Religions of the North
- Medieval Nordic Text Archive (Menota)
- HI1025 Vikings! - Coordinator, 6 lectures, 1 tutorial group
- HI4015 Special Subject: Paganism and Christianisation - Coordinator and seminars
- HI502J Old Norse Language, Literature and Culture - Coordinator and seminars
- HI552J Old Norse Language, Runes and Place Names - Coordinator and seminars
- HI306A Back in the Viking Homelands - seminars
- Erasmus teaching exchange to the University of Iceland, Reykjavík
- HI502K Special Subject - Coordinator
- Contributions to other courses in English, History and Archaeology.
2012-13: HI1020 Vikings! - Coordinator, 8 lectures, 2 tutorial groups; EL5074 Old Norse - 15h seminars; EL45OP Sagas - 12h seminars; EL48OX Beowulf - 12h seminars; HI551Q Viking Religion - 15h seminars;
2011-12: EL45OP Sagas of Icelanders (Convenor, 20h seminars); EL48OP Beowulf (Convenor, 20h seminars); EL5580 Old Norse (Convenor, 15h seminars); HI353C The Migration Age (Coordinator, 33h seminars); EL2512 Tragedy of Knowledge (2h lectures); EL2513 History of Language in the British Isles (3h lectures); AY3509 Viking Archaeology (tutorials);
2010-11: EL30WB Chaucer (6 Lectures, 10h Tutorials); EL40OP Sagas of Icelanders (Convenor, 20h Seminars); EL43OP Beowulf and Old English (Convenor, 20h Seminars); EL5074 Old Norse (Coordinator, 15h Seminars); HI1020 Vikings (Coordinator, 8 Lectures, 11h Tutorials); HI302G Sex and Violence in Cold Climates (9h Seminars); HI4015 Legendary Scandinavia (22h Seminars); HI501L Approaches to Scandinavian Studies (Seminars); EL2510 History of Language in the British Isles (3 Lectures); HI5574 Runes and Place Names (15h Seminars)
2009-10: EL30WB Chaucer (lectures and language tutorials); EL40OP Sagas of Icelanders (Convenor, seminars); EL43OP Beowulf and Old English (Convenor, seminars); HI1018 Vikings! (lectures); HI4018 Legendary Scandinavia (seminars); HI5080 Old Norse Language and Literature (Coordinator, seminars); HI5029 Medieval Texts and Manuscripts (seminar); LN1001 Communication and Language (lectures); EL2510 History of Language in the British Isles (lectures); HI35xx Sex and Violence in Cold Climates (seminars); HI5574 Runes and Place Names (seminars)
2008-9: EL30WB Chaucer (lectures and language tutorials); EL40OP Sagas of Icelanders (Convenor, seminars); EL43OP Beowulf and Old English (Convenor, seminars); LN1001 Communication and Language (lectures); HI1018 Vikings! (lectures); HI5080 Old Norse Language and Literature (Coordinator, seminars); HI5067 Approaches to Scandinavian Studies (seminar); HI5574 Runes and Place Names (Seminars); EL2510 History of Language in the British Isles (lectures)
2007-8: EL5302 Preparation and Presentation of Scholarly Writing (Convenor); HI5080 Old Norse Language and Literature (Convenor); EL30KF Knights, Virgins and Viragos (language tutorials); HI5029 Medieval Texts and Manuscripts (guest lecture); EL48ON Sagas of the Icelanders (Convenor); EL2510 History of Language in the British Isles (lectures); HI1015 Vikings! (lectures)
- Further Info
- Honorary Associate, Centre for Medieval and Early Modern Studies, University of Sydney
- Member, Viking Society for Northern Research (Council Member 2008-10)
- Member, Australian Early Medieval Association
- Member, Teachers of Old English in Britain and Ireland
- Member, Scottish Society for Northern Studies
- External Supervisor to Chris Crocker, University of Iceland
- Co-Director of the Centre for Scandinavian Studies
- Director of PGT programmes in the School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
- Coordinator of History MLitt programmes
- Coordinator, MLitt in Scandinavian Studies
- Irene García Losquiño (2007)
- Declan Taggart (2010)
- Ian Crockatt (2010)
- Edward Carlsson Browne (2010)
- Claire Organ (2011)
- Doug Dutton (2012)
- Lisa Nitsche (2012)
- Hilde Nielsen (2012)
- Pam Corray (2013)
- Blake Middleton (2013)
Page 1 of 1 Results 1 to 19 of 19
Contributions to Journals
- Wills, T. (in press). 'łrr and wading'. Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde - ErgĂ¤nzungsbĂ¤nde.
- Wills, T. (2016). 'The thirteenth-century runic revival in Denmark and Iceland'. NOWELE, vol 69, no. 2, pp. 114-129.
[Online] DOI: 10.1075/nowele.69.2.01wil
- Wills, T. (2016). 'Social media as a research method'. Communication Research and Practice, vol 2, no. 1, pp. 7-19.
[Online] DOI: 10.1080/22041451.2016.1155312
- Wills, TJ. (2015). 'Relational data modelling of textual corpora: the Skaldic Project and its extensions'. Literary and Linguistic Computing, vol 30, no. 2, pp. 294-313.
[Online] DOI: 10.1093/llc/fqt045
[Link] http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/fqt045? ijkey=zAQacP6xk11Bq6p&keytype=ref
[Link] http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/fqt045? ijkey=zAQacP6xk11Bq6p&keytype=ref
[Link] http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/fqt045? ijkey=zAQacP6xk11Bq6p&keytype=ref
- Wills, T. (2014). 'Semantic linking of the Pre-Christian Religions of the North'. Digital Medievalist, vol 9.
- Wills, TJ. (2013). 'Testosterone, Aggression and Status in Early Northern Literature'. Northern Studies, vol 44, no. -, pp. 60-79.
- Wills, T. (2012). 'Physiology and Behaviour in the Sagas'. Viking and Medieval Scandinavia, vol 8, no. -, pp. 279-297.
[Online] DOI: 10.1484/J.VMS.1.103201
- Wills, TJ. (2004). 'The Third Grammatical Treatise and Ole Wormâs Literature Runicaâ'. Scandinavian Studies, vol 76, pp. 439-458.
- Wills, TJ. (2002). 'Electronic Editing of the Skaldic Corpus'. Skandinavistik: Zeitschrift fĂźr Sprache Literatur und Kultur der Nordischen Lander, vol 32, pp. 25-30.
Reviews of Books, Films and Articles
- Wills, TJ. (2011). 'Christopher Abram: Myths of the Pagan North: The Gods of the Norsemen'. Scandinavica, vol 50, no. 2, pp. 98-100.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Wills, TJ. (2012). Olafr hvitaskald Thordarson: Fragments. in KE Gade (ed.), Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages: Volume 3: Poetry from Treatises on Poetics. vol. 3, Brepols, Turnhout.
- Clunies Ross, M., Gade, KE., Marold, E., Nordal, G., Whaley, D. & Wills, TJ. (2012). General Introduction. in D Whaley (ed.), Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages. vol. 1, Brepols, Turnhout, pp. xiii-xciii.
- Wills, T. (2009). The development of Skaldic language. in A Ney, H Williams & FC Ljungqvist (eds), Ă austrvega: Saga and East Scandinavia: Preprint papers of the 14th International Saga Conference. GĂ¤vle University Press, GĂ¤vle, pp. 1032-1038.
- Wills, TJ. & WĂźrth, S. (2007). Hugsvinnsmal. in Poetry on Christian Subjects: Norse-Icelandic Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages. vol. 7, Brepols, Turnhout, pp. 358-449.
- Louis-Jensen, J. & Wills, TJ. (2007). Placitusdrapa. in M Clunies Ross (ed.), Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages: Poetry on Christian Subjects. vol. 7, Brepols, Turnhout, pp. 179-220.
Contributions to Conferences
- Wills, TJ. (2006). 'The Anonymous Verse in the Third Grammatical Treatise'.
- Wills, TJ. (2003). 'Theories of the Antiquity of Runes'.
Books and Reports
- Haugen, OE. (ed.), Bruvik, TM., Driscoll, M., Johansson, KG., KyrkjebĂ¸, R. & Wills, TJ. (2008). The Menota handbook: Guidelines for the electronic encoding of Medieval Nordic primary sources. 2 edn, The Medieval Nordic Text Archive, Bergen.