My research focuses on liturgy, ritual, narrative, suffering and reconciliation. Working in the area of Practical Theology I am interested in the empirical and theological reality of religious practices. Much of my work is focused on pastoral needs, especially the needs of marginalised people who are stigmatised and whose voices are not heard. I am currently working on sacramentology and sacraments, and on the issue of taboo in public worship, especially in intercessory prayer.
I regularly teach, contribute to, and/or coordinate the following courses:
What Does It Mean to be Human? (DR1045)
Sacred Rites and Worship (DR1071)
Spirituality, Health and Healing (DR302R, DR402R, ME33DR)
An Appetite for Food and Health (SX3012)
Preaching to change the world: Exploring the Theology and Practice of Christian Witness (DR503R)
Christian Practices (DR553M)
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 11
Contributions to Journals
- Van Ommen, AL. (2016). 'Gloriatheologie of ruimte voor verdriet?: Over rouwen en liturgie'. Soteria, vol 33, no. 2, pp. 32-39.
- Van Ommen, AL. (2016). 'Liturgy and Pastoral Care: Pastoral Worship and Priestly Counselling'. studia liturgica, vol 46, no. 1-2, pp. 208-221.
- Van Ommen, AL. (2016). 'Ritual repetition: Creating safe havens for sufferers or boring experiences?'. Jaarboek voor Liturgieonderzoek / Yearbook for Ritual and Liturgical Studies, vol 32, pp. 125-141.
[Online] AURA: Ritual_repetition.pdf
- Van Ommen, AL. (2015). 'Anglican Liturgy and Community: The Influence of the Experience of Community on the Experience of Liturgy as a Challenge for Liturgical Renewal and Formation'. studia liturgica, vol 45, no. 2, pp. 221-234.
- Van Ommen, L. (2015). 'A Narrative Understanding of Anglican Liturgy in Times of Suffering: The Narrative Approach of Ruard Ganzevoort Applied to Common Worship'. Questions Liturgiques / Studies in Liturgy, vol 96, no. 1-2, pp. 64-81.
[Online] DOI: 10.2143/QL.96.1.3094640
- Van Ommen, AL. (2015). 'Human Tears, Divine Tears: A Narrative Analysis of Anglican Liturgy in Relation to Stories of Suffering People – Summary of Dissertation'. Jaarboek voor Liturgieonderzoek / Yearbook for Ritual and Liturgical Studies, vol 31, pp. 233-239.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Van Ommen, AL. (in press). Remembering for Healing: Liturgical Communities of Reconciliation Provide Space for Trauma. in Trauma and Lived Religion. Palgrave Studies in Lived Religion and Societal Challenges.
- Van Ommen, L. (in press). Ritual as Diversity Management. in Increasing Diversity: Loss of Control or Adaptive Identity Construction. Christian Perspectives on Leadership and Social Ethics, vol. 5, Peeters Publishers, 5th ILE Conference, Increasing Diversity, Leuven, Belgium, 29-30 April.
- Van Ommen, AL. (2016). Anglicaans getijdengebed en de pastorale praktijk. in Getijden van het leven: Over liturgie en bidden. Leuvense Cahiers voor Praktische Theologie, Halewijn, Antwerpen, pp. 61-74.
Books and Reports
- Van Ommen, AL. (2017). Suffering in Worship: Anglican Liturgy in Relation to Stories of Suffering People. Liturgy, Worship and Society Series, Routledge, London.