Chair in History of Art
- Scottish architecture
- British Medieval manuscripts
- Pictish sculpture
- Medieval decorative ironwork
Currently investigating the 'Earliest Portrait of St Columba' in St Gallen Library, Cod Sang 555.
There are two recently completed projects.
Principal Investigator for the Buildings of Scotland, Leverhulme Award
This award produced 2 volumes in the Buildings of Scotland series:
- Aberdeenshire: North and Moray;
- Aberdeenshire: South and Aberdeen.
The research fellows were three architecural historians: Joseph Sharples, Dr David Walker and Dr Matthew Woodworth. Published by Yale University Press, 2014.
Historic Environment Scotland
Academic advisor for the design of St Vigeans Museum, Arbroath, Angus. Author of Hunting Picts: Medieval Sculpture at St Vigeans, Angus, 2 vols, 2017
Leverhulme Research Award: to produce two volumes for the Buildings of Scotland Series, Aberdeenshire and North-East Scotland. 2008 - 2014.
AHRB award to produce the St Albans Psalter website.
- HA1003 Introduction to Art History: Case studies in Western Art
- HA1503 The Modern Tradition: Change and Continuity
- HA2004 Goths to Gothic: Romans to Renaissance
- HA2501 The Age of Baroque: from Caravaggio to Robert Adam
- HA3536 The Country House, 1500 - 2000
- HA3594 The Work of Angels: Insular Art 400-800
- HA3579 Durham and Romanesque architecture
- HA5030 Art and Business
- Further Info
- External examiner for York University, Medieval Studies
- Trustee for The Burn, Edzell