John Morrison's main research interests are concerned with Scottish painting from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries. He is currently working on gendered national identities in the late nineteenth century.
HA1502 Art in the Flesh
HA1506 Modern Art
HA 3513 Painting in a Stateless Nation: Scottish Art 1707-1837
HA3060 From Barbizon to Impressionism: Painting in France
HA4301 Continuity and Change: National Identity in Scottish Art 1840-1920
- Further Info
Research leave 2017-18
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 17
Contributions to Journals
- Morrison, JC. (in press). 'John Duncan, Patrick Geddes and the Celtic Revival'. Journal of Scottish Thought.
- Morrison, JC. (2008). 'Holland and France: Prototype and Paradigm for Nineteenth-Century Scottish Art'. Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies, vol 2, no. 1, pp. 123-138.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Morrison, JC. (2017). Debating Chamber. The Royal Scottish Academy and Artistic Discourse in the Nineteenth Century. in Ages of Wonder. The Royal Scottish Academy and its collections. National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh, Ages of Wonder, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 1-31 December.
- Morrison, JC. (2016). Sir William Allan, Bannockburn and the Presentation of Scottish History. in M Penman (ed.), Bannockburn 1314-2014: Battle and Legacy (Proceedings of the 2014 Stirling Conference). Shaun Tyas, Lincoln.
- Pryor, MR. & Morrison, JC. (2013). The King’s Paintings: Preaching to the Times. in J Geddes (ed.), King’s College Chapel Aberdeen 1500-2000. Maney Publishing.
- Morrison, JC. (2010). Painting the nation: Highlandism and Scottish identity. in Letteratura Scozzese. vol. 11, Quaderni del Premio Letterario Giuseppe Acerbi, no. 11, Grafiche Fiorini, Verona, Italy, pp. 27-30.
- Pryor, MR. & Morrison, JC. (2007). Caught in the Springe of the Kirke - For Covenant and King: Charles II 1650-51. in P Davidson & J Bepler (eds), Triumphs of the Defeated: Early Modern Festivals and Messages of Legitimacy. Wolfenbuttler Forschungen, no. 116, Harrassowitz in Kommission, Wiesbaden, pp. 191-225.
- Morrison, JC. (2005). Highlandism and Scottish Identity. in In: A Shared Legacy: Essays on Irish and Scottish Art and Visual Culture (eds. Morrison, J.; Cullen, F.) Ashgate. In: A Shared Legacy: Essays on Irish and Scottish Art and Visual Culture (eds. Morrison, J.; Cullen, F.) Ashgate, pp. 97-111.
- Morrison, JC. (2003). Nationalism and Nationhood: Late Nineteenth-Century Painting in Scotland. in In: Art, Culture and National Identity in Fin-de-Siecle Europe (eds. Facos, M.; Hirsh, S.L.) Cambridge University Press. Cambridge University Press, In: Art, Culture and National Identity in Fin-de-Siecle Europe (eds. Facos, M.; Hirsh, S.L.) Cambridge University Press, pp. 186-206.
- Morrison, JC. (2001). The Hearth as Metaphor: Nineteenth-century Scottish Painting and the Symbolism of Domestic Fire. in In: The Hearth in Scotland (ed. Wood, M.) Scottish Vernacular Buildings Group. In: The Hearth in Scotland (ed. Wood, M.) Scottish Vernacular Buildings Group, pp. 68-85.