John Morrison's main research interests are concerned with Scottish painting from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries. He is currently working on gendered national identities in the late nineteenth century.
HA1502 Art in the Flesh
HA1506 Modern Art
HA 3513 Painting in a Stateless Nation: Scottish Art 1707-1837
HA3060 From Barbizon to Impressionism: Painting in France
HA4301 Continuity and Change: National Identity in Scottish Art 1840-1920
- Further Info
Research leave 2017-18
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 16
Contributions to Journals
- Morrison, JC. (in press). 'John Duncan, Patrick Geddes and the Celtic Revival'. Journal of Scottish Thought.
- Morrison, JC. (2008). 'Holland and France: Prototype and Paradigm for Nineteenth-Century Scottish Art'. Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies, vol 2, no. 1, pp. 123-138.
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Morrison, JC. (2017). ˜Debating Chamber: The Royal Scottish Academy and Artistic Discourse in the Nineteenth Centuryâ€™. in T Normand (ed.), Ages of Wonder: Scotland's Art 1540 to Now. National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh, pp. 63-75, Ages of Wonder, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 1-31 December.
- Morrison, JC. (2016). Sir William Allan, Bannockburn and the Presentation of Scottish History. in M Penman (ed.), Bannockburn 1314-2014: Battle and Legacy (Proceedings of the 2014 Stirling Conference). Shaun Tyas, Lincoln.
- Pryor, MR. & Morrison, JC. (2013). The Kingâ€™s Paintings: Preaching to the Times. in J Geddes (ed.), Kingâ€™s College Chapel Aberdeen 1500-2000. Maney Publishing.
- Morrison, JC. (2010). Painting the nation: Highlandism and Scottish identity. in Letteratura Scozzese. vol. 11, Quaderni del Premio Letterario Giuseppe Acerbi, no. 11, Grafiche Fiorini, Verona, Italy, pp. 27-30.
- Morrison, JC. (2005). Highlandism and Scottish Identity. in In: A Shared Legacy: Essays on Irish and Scottish Art and Visual Culture (eds. Morrison, J.; Cullen, F.) Ashgate. In: A Shared Legacy: Essays on Irish and Scottish Art and Visual Culture (eds. Morrison, J.; Cullen, F.) Ashgate, pp. 97-111.
- Morrison, JC. (2003). Nationalism and Nationhood: Late Nineteenth-Century Painting in Scotland. in In: Art, Culture and National Identity in Fin-de-Siecle Europe (eds. Facos, M.; Hirsh, S.L.) Cambridge University Press. Cambridge University Press, In: Art, Culture and National Identity in Fin-de-Siecle Europe (eds. Facos, M.; Hirsh, S.L.) Cambridge University Press, pp. 186-206.
- Morrison, JC. (2001). The Hearth as Metaphor: Nineteenth-century Scottish Painting and the Symbolism of Domestic Fire. in In: The Hearth in Scotland (ed. Wood, M.) Scottish Vernacular Buildings Group. In: The Hearth in Scotland (ed. Wood, M.) Scottish Vernacular Buildings Group, pp. 68-85.
- Morrison, JC. (2001). Sir William Allan and the Painting of Scottish History. in In: Sir William Allan. Artist Adventurer (ed. Howard, J.) City of Edinburgh Museums and Galleries. In: Sir William Allan. Artist Adventurer (ed. Howard, J.) City of Edinburgh Museums and Galleries, pp. 13-22.