Chair in History & International Affairs
Thomas Weber is Professor of History and International Affairs as well as the founding Director of the Centre of Global Security and Governance at the University of Aberdeen. His research and teaching expertise lies in European, international, and global political history.
A native of Breckerfeld in Westphalia, he earned his DPhil from the University of Oxford in 2003. Before coming to Aberdeen, Weber held fellowships or taught at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Chicago, and the University of Glasgow. Since joining Aberdeen, Weber has held visiting positions at the Center for European Studies and the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs at Harvard University in 2008/2009 and from 2012 to 2015.
His first book, Lodz Ghetto Album, won a 2004 Golden Light Award and a 2005 Infinity Award. His second book, Our Friend “The Enemy” was the recipient of the 2008 Duc d’Arenberg History Prize for the best book of a general nature, intended for a wide public, on the history and culture of the European continent. His third book, Hitler's First War, was published in English by Oxford University Press in 2010. Since then, his book has also been published in German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Spanish, Polish, Czech, and Danish. The book is also about to be published in Russian. It is the recipient of the 2010 Arthur Goodzeit Book Award of the New York Military Affairs Symposium for the best book on military history. It is also being adapted into a TV mini series by UFA-Fiction and Beta Film. His latest book, Wie Adolf Hitler zum Nazi wurde, was published in the spring of 2016 by Propyläen and later that year by Nieuw Amsterdam in Dutch. Its English-language edition will be published in November by Basic Books and by Oxford University Press.
Thomas Weber occasionally contributes commentary on history and current affairs for news organizations in Europe, North America, and the Middle East.
His author website can be found at www.thomasweber.co.uk
- Further Info
Major Publications and Prizes
Hitler’s First War: Adolf Hitler, the Men of the List Regiment and the First World War (Oxford University Press, 2010)
- German edition: Hitlers Erster Krieg: Der Gefreite Hitler im Ersten Weltrkrieg – Mythos und Wahrheit (Berlin: Propyläen Verlag, 2011; List-Verlag 2012 (pbk)); Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung (pbk); Dutch edition: Adolf Hitler en de Eerste Wereldoorlog (Amsterdam: Nieuw Amsterdam, 2011); Swedish edition: Hitlers Första Krig (Historiska Media, Lund, 2011); French edition: La premiere guerre d'Hitler (Editions Perrin, Paris, 2012); Polish edition: Pierwsza wojna HitleraRebis, Poznan; Czech edition: Hitlerova První Válka (Jota, 2011); Spanish edition:La primera guerra de Hitler(Taurus, Madrid, 2012); Danish edition: Hitlers Første Verdenskrig (Informations Forlag, Copenhagen, November 2012); Russian edittion: Eksmo.
‘Our Friend “The Enemy”’: Elite Education in Britain and Germany before World War I (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2008).
Lodz Ghetto Album: Photographs by Henryk Ross (photographs selected by Timothy Prus & Martin Parr’ (London: Chris Booth, 2004)
2008: Duc d’Arenberg History Prize awarded biannually by the Arenberg Foundation for the best book on European history and culture [for Our Friend ‘The Enemy’]
2005: Infinity Award in the category ‘Publication’ of the International Center of Photography, New York City. Infinity Awards are awarded “to bring public attention to outstanding achievements in photography by honoring individuals with distinguished careers in the field and by identifying future luminaries” [for Lodz Ghetto Album]
2004: Golden Light Award in the category ‘Best Edited Historical Book’, awarded annually by the Maine Photographic Workshops [for Lodz Ghetto Album]
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 10 of 40
- Weber, T 2020, 'The Pre-1914 Origins of Hitler’s Antisemitism Revisited', Journal of Holocaust Research, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 70-86. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/25785648.2019.1707442
- Weber, T 2019, Bavaria’s Seminal Catastrophe: The Revolution of 1918/1919. in A Marshall, S Saboll & J Steinberg (eds), The Global Impacts of Russia’s Great War & Revolution: Book 1: The Arc of Revolution, 1917-22 . vol. 6, Slavica, Bloomington, IN, pp. 177-212.
- Weber, T 2019, Hitlers langer Schatten: Der Umgang der Deutschen mit Adolf Hitler im 21. Jahrhundert. in U Schlie (ed.), Modernes Regierungshandeln im Zeitalter der Globalisierung. Andrassy Studien zur Europaforscchung, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, Baden-Baden.
- Weber, T 2018, De Adolf a Hitler: La Construcción de un Nazi. Taurus, Madrid.
- Weber, T 2018, 'Response', Dapim: Studies on the Holocaust, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 149-153. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/23256249.2018.1485820
- Weber, T 2018, [Becoming Hitler]: [The Making of a Nazi]. Gingko, China.
- Weber, T 2018, [Brazilian edition of Becoming Hitler]. Editora Record.
- Weber, T 2018, [Italian edition of 'Becoming Hitler']. Leg Edizioni, Gorizia.
- Weber, T 2017, Becoming Hitler: The Making of a Nazi. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Weber, T 2017, Becoming Hitler: The Making of a Nazi. Basic Books , New York.