PhD University of California, Berkeley; Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management; Advisors: Profs Whendee Silver and Mary Firestone; 1999-2005
BA (Hons) with Distinction University of California, Berkeley; Department of Integrative Biology; Advisor: Prof Carla D'Antonio; 1994-1998
Reader in Biogeochemistry University of Aberdeen, School of Biological Sciences; August 2017 to present
Senior Lecturer in Soil Biogeochemistry University of Aberdeen, School of Biological Sciences; June 2013 to July 2017
SAGES Lecturer in the Terrestrial Carbon Cycle University of St Andrews, School of Geography and Geosciences; October 2007-May 2013
Postdoctoral Scholar University of California, Berkeley; Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management; Supervisors: Profs Whendee Silver and Dennis Baldocchi; March 2007-October 2007
Postdoctoral Scholar University of California, Berkeley; Department of Geography; Supervisor: Prof Robert Rhew; March 2005-February 2007
US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Earth System Science Fellow University of California, Berkeley; Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management; August 2000-July 2003
Terrestrial ecosystem ecology, biogeochemistry, isotope geochemistry, process-based soil microbial ecology, biosphere-atmosphere exchange and land-use/land cover change.
Carbon, nitrogen and trace gas dynamics in tropical ecosystems.
Peatland ecology and biogeochemistry.
Sustainable management of agro-ecosystems.
Impacts of anthropogenic intervention on biogeochemical cycling, ecosystem functioning and biosphere-atmosphere exchange.
Award: Approx. £1.0M . PIs: YA Teh, J. Barlow (Lancaster), R. Ewers (Imperial College), C. Joly (State University of Campinas, Brazil), O. Lewis (Oxon), Y. Malhi (Oxon), G. Reynolds (South East Asia Rainforest Research Programme)
Award: €2.13M (~£1.7M). PI: B. Courtois (CIRAD France). Co-Is: V. Giampiero (CRA Italy); B. San Segundo (CRAG Spain); A. Price (Aberdeen), Y.A. Teh (Aberdeen), P. Bonfante (Università degli Studi di Torino) & 4 other investigators.
Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB): Ecosystem carbon and nitrogen dynamics of tropical peatlands 2014-2017
Award: MYR6.52M (~£1.24M). PIs: YA Teh, LK Khoo (MPOB) & TC Hill (St Andrews). Co-Is: Mohd Haniff Harun (MPOB), Hj. Mohd Roslan Md Noor (MPOB) & Zulkifli Hashim (MPOB)
NERC Human-modified Tropical Forests programme: "Biodiversity And Land-use Impacts on Tropical Ecosystem Function (BALI) - A Multidisciplinary Consortium Exploring the Biogeochemical Impacts of Tropical Forest Degradation, Agricultural Conversion and Biodiversity Loss" 2013-2018
Award Value: £4.6M. PI: Y.A. Teh Co-Is: E. Baggs, D. Burslem, D. Johnson, P. Smith & 14 other investigators.
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds: “The effects of forest to bog restoration on carbon dioxide, methane and water vapour fluxes in Flow Country peatlands” 2012-2015
Award Value: £30K. PI: Y.A. Teh; Co-Is: T.C. Hill (St Andrews), J. Moncrieff (Edinburgh), P. Levy (Centre for Ecology and Hydrology) & N. Cowie (RSPB)
NERC Biodiversity and Ecosystem Service Sustainability Programme: “A hierarchical approach to the examination of the relationship between biodiversity and ecosystem service flows across coastal margins (CBESS)” 2012-2016
Award Value: £3.2M. PI: D.M. Paterson (St Andrews); Co-Is: Y.A. Teh, T.C. Hill (St Andrews), T. Stojanovic (St Andrews), C. Gollety (St Andrews) & the CBESS Consortium
NERC: “Amazonian peatlands: A potentially important but poorly characterized source of atmospheric methane and nitrous oxide” 2011-2014
Award Value: £67K. PI: Y.A. Teh; Co-Is: S. Page (Leicester) & J.C. Berrio (Leicester)
NERC: "Are tropical uplands regional hotspots for methane and nitrous oxide?" 2010-2015
Award Value: £990K. PI: Y.A. Teh; Co-Is: P. Smith, E. Baggs & P. Meir (Edinburgh)
NERC: "Quantifying event-driven methane fluxes from northern peatlands using a novel automated flux chamber technique." 2010-2012
Award Value: £82K. PI: Y.A. Teh; Co-Is: P. Ineson (York) & J.-A. Subke (Stirling)
Norwegian Agency for Development and Cooperation (NORAD): “New REDD Models for Tropical Montane Forests: Science, Policy, and Economic Incentive Structures for Fire Control and Indigenous Poverty Alleviation in the Peruvian Andes.” 2009-2013
Sub-Award Value: USD29K. Lead RO: Amazon Conversation Association (ACA). Co-I: Y.A. Teh for 2009-2013. Teh is Co-I in an interdisciplinary consortium coordinated by ACA with funding of USD470K per year.
NERC UKPopNet Programme: “Biophysical drivers of methane ebullition in northern peatlands.” 2009-2010
Award Value: £116K. PI: Y.A. Teh; Co-Is: A.J. Baird (Leeds), E.R.C. Hornibrook (Bristol), P. Ineson (York), K. Redeker (York), J.-A. Subke (York)
NSF Sub-Award: “Investigation into the effects of microtopographic variability on net methane, carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide fluxes from the San Francisco Bay Delta.” 2008
Sub-Award Value: USD18K. PIs: D.D. Baldocchi (UC Berkeley), W.L. Silver (UC Berkeley) & NM Kelly (UC Berkeley) Co-I: Y.A. Teh.
- Further Info
External Examiner for the University of Edinburgh School of GeoSciences
Member of the NERC Peer Review College
Member of the NERC Life Sciences Mass Spectrometry Facility Steering Group
Associate Editor for Ecology & Evolution
Teh Research Group
Based in Aberdeen
Dr Sabine Both
Interests: Role of plant functional traits in modulating ecosystem functioning
Muhammad Firdaus Abdul Karim
Interests: Nitrous oxide cycling in tropical soils
Dr Ully Kritzler
Interests: Plant-soil interactions, mycorrhizae
Dr Laura Kruitbos
Project Coordinator for the BALI Research Consortium, 2014-present
Interests: Soil microbial ecology
PhD Student, 2013-present.
PhD title: Carbon dynamics in oil palm agro-ecosystems.
Dr Ming Nie
Postdoctoral Research Associate (co-supervsied with Prof Patrick Meir at the University of Edinburgh), 2014-present
Interests: Understanding the effects of global change and ecological disturbance on plant-soil interactions, ecosystem carbon and nitrogen dynamics.
Dr Viktoria Oliver
Postdoctoral Research Associate, 2015-present
Interests: Carbon, nitrogen and trace gas dynamics in temperate rice ecosystems; soil carbon dynamics in the tropical Andes
Norliyana Zin Zawawi
PhD Student, 2013-present.
PhD title: Nitric oxide and nitrous oxide emissions from oil palm planted on peat soils in Malaysia
Based in St Andrews and elsewhere
PhD Title: Fluvial carbon losses from oil palm plantations on peatlands in SE Asia
Dr Melanie Chocholek
Research Associate at the University of St Andrews, co-supervised by Dr Tim Hill (St Andrews), 2012-present.
Interests: Trace gas dynamics in coastal salt marsh and mudflat ecosystems.
PhD Student at the University of St Andrews, co-supervised by Dr Tim Hill (St Andrews), 2012-present.
Interests: Whole-ecosystem carbon exchange in northern Scottish peatlands; micrometerology.
Interests: Response of Amazonian swamp palm forests to human and environmental impacts.
Dr Torsten Diem
Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of St Andrews & the University of Aberdeen, 2010-2015
Interests: Trace gas fluxes along environmental gradients in the tropical Andes.
Dr Samuel (Sam) Jones
PhD Student at the University of Edinburgh, co-supervised with Prof Patrick Meir, 2010-2014
PhD title: Methane cycling in upland soils of the Andes and Amazon
Postdoctoral Research Associate at INRA Bordeaux, 2015-present
Interests: Quantifying spatial variability of carbonic anhydrase activity in soils using isotopic approaches
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 22
- Both, S, Riutta, T, Paine, CET, Elias, DMO, Chino, R, Jain, A, Johnson, D, Kritzler, UH, Kuntz, M, Majalap-Lee, N, Mielke, N, Pillco, MXM, Ostle, NJ, Teh, YA, Malhi, Y & Burslem, DFRP 2019, 'Logging and soil nutrients independently explain plant trait expression in tropical forests' New Phytologist, vol. 221, no. 4, pp. 1853-1865. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.15444
- Ashton, LA, Griffiths, HM, Parr, CL, Evans, TA, Didham, RK, Hasan, F, Teh, YA, Tin, HS, Vairappan, CS & Eggleton, P 2019, 'Termites mitigate the effects of drought in tropical rainforest' Science, vol. 363, no. 6423, pp. 174-177. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aau9565
- Riutta, T, Malhi, Y, Kho, LK, Marthews, TR, Huaraca Huasco, W, Khoo, M, Tan, S, Turner, E, Reynolds, G, Both, S, Burslem, DFRP, Teh, YA, Vairappan, CS, Majalap, N & Ewers, RM 2018, 'Logging disturbance shifts net primary productivity and its allocation in Bornean tropical forests' Global Change Biology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 2913-2928. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14068
- Jucker, T, Asner, GP, Dalponte, M, Brodrick, PG, Philipson, CD, Vaughn, NR, Teh, YA, Brelsford, C, Burslem, DFRP, Deere, NJ, Ewers, RM, Kvasnica, J, Lewis, SL, Malhi, Y, Milne, S, Nilus, R, Pfeifer, M, Phillips, OL, Qie, L, Renneboog, N, Reynolds, G, Riutta, T, Struebig, MJ, Svátek, M, Turner, EC & Coomes, DA 2018, 'Estimating aboveground carbon density and its uncertainty in Borneo’s structurally complex tropical forests using airborne laser scanning' Biogeosciences, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 3811-3830. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-15-3811-2018
- Subke, JA, Moody, CS, Hill, TC, Voke, N, Toet, S, Ineson, P & Teh, YA 2018, 'Rhizosphere activity and atmospheric methane concentrations drive variations of methane fluxes in a temperate forest soil' Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 116, pp. 323-332. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2017.10.037
- Oliver, V, Oliveras, I, Kala, J, Lever, R & Teh, YA 2017, 'The effects of burning and grazing on soil carbon dynamics in managed Peruvian tropical montane grasslands' Biogeosciences, vol. 14, no. 24, pp. 5633-5646. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-2017-113
- Diem, T, Morley, NJ, Ccahuana, AJ, Hauraca Quispe, LP, Baggs, E, Meir, P, Richards, MLA, Smith, P & Teh, YA 2017, 'Complex controls on nitrous oxide flux across a large-elevation gradient in the tropical Peruvian Andes' Biogeosciences, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 5077-5097. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-14-5077-2017
- Yang, WH, McNicol, G, Teh, YA, Estera-Molina, K, Wood, TE & Silver, WL 2017, 'Evaluating the Classical Versus an Emerging Conceptual Model of Peatland Methane Dynamics' Global Biogeochemical Cycles, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1435-1453. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/2017GB005622
- Teh, YA, Wayne, M, Berrio, J-C, Boom, A & Page, SE 2017, 'Seasonal variability in methane and nitrous oxide fluxes from tropical peatlands in the western Amazon basin' Biogeosciences, vol. 14, pp. 3669-3683. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-2017-48
- Nemo, Klumpp, K, Coleman, K, Dondini, M, Goulding, K, Hastings, A, Jones, MB, Leifeld, J, Osborne, B, Saunders, M, Scott, T, Teh, YA & Smith, P 2017, 'Soil Organic Carbon (SOC) Equilibrium and Model Initialisation Methods: an Application to the Rothamsted Carbon (RothC) Model' Environmental Modeling & Assessment, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 215-229. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10666-016-9536-0