Chair in School of Biological Sciences
2011 - 2013
Head of Sustainable Production Theme, The James Hutton Institute
2008 - 2011
Head of Plant-Soil Interface Group, Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI)
1997 - 2008
Research Scientist, SCRI
1995 - 1997
Postdoctoral Scientist, Silsoe Research Institute, Silsoe, UK
BSc Agriculture, University of Guelph (1992)
PhD Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham (1996)
I am a Soil Physicist working on solutions to food and environmental security, mainly focussed on the interactions between plants, microorganisms and the physical behaviour of soil. My work spans from understanding the fundamental processes driving changes in soil physical properties by biology, through to applied research examining soil degradation and the underlying causes. Recent and current projects study the capacity of different plant root traits to physically engineer soil, crop selection impact on hydrological cycling in southern China, the use of vegetation to mechanically stabilise engineered slopes, soil physical impacts on nitrogen fertiliser use efficiency in Brazil and the better use of organic resources in Ethiopia to improve soils and their capacity to produce food. This research is funded by a number of research councils.
My current research has four main areas: (1) engineering of the soil physical environment by plant roots, (2) impact of soil physical conditions on microbial processes, pollutant transport and root growth, (3) biophysical resilience of soil to stresses and (4) management of soil physical conditions for crop productivity. It is underpinned by a cross-disciplinary team of staff and collaborators that includes plant scientists, soil biologists, geotechnical engineers, chemists and hydrologists. The research uses a range of approaches including micron scale non-invasive imaging up to larger scale critical zone observatories.
Annette Raffan - Soil Physics Research Technician
XRay CT Manager
Dr Maria Marin - BBSRC project 'Rhizosphere by design'
Dr Fiona Fraser - RESAS project 'Influence of liming on soil resilience to stress'
Dr Joselph Oyesiku-Blakemore - NERC project MIDST-CZ
Alysha Knight, The roots of soil and food security. 2018-2022. Co-supervised by Dr. Tim George (JHI) and Dr. Gareth Norton.
Taupik Rahman, Influence of soil physical structure on nutrient capture by plants. 2018-2019 (MSc by Research)
Mohsin Raza, Development of green value chemicals from renewable sources and their physical properties. 2017-2020. Principal Supervisor - Dr Waheed Afzal (School of Engineering)
Yang Gao, Modelling and measuring soil organic carbon under different tillage practices in agricultural soils of the UK. 2017-2020. Principal Supervisor – Prof. Pete Smith
Licida Giuliani - Does the Casparian strip influence plant root biomechanics? 2014-2020. Co-supervised by Dr. Kenneth Loades (JHI) and Dr. Gordon McDougall (JHI)
Rong Qu - Soil carbon cycling as affected by aggregate structure collapse and reformation. Co-supervised by Prof. J. Smith. 2015-2020. Elphinstone Scholarship.
Tom Inglis - Soil biophysical heterogeneity impacts on the transport and fate of pesticides. (Registered at Robert Gordon University). 2015-2018. Principal Supervisor - Dr. Zulin Zhang (JHI). Co-supervisors - Dr Kyari Yates (RGU) and Dr Mads Troldbord (JHI)
Mike Ogden - Habitat engineering by ectomycorrhizal fungi. 2013-2019. Co-supervised by Prof. D. Johnson.
Ewan Oleghe - Physical priming of rhizosphere soil. Co-supervised by Prof. Liz Baggs. 2015-2018.
Anastasia Fountouli - Are pH driven shifts to soil physical structure caused by chemical or biological process? 2013-2017. Co-supervised by Prof. Graeme Paton, Prof. Christine Watson (SRUC) and Dr Robin Walker (SRUC).
Xin Shu - Sustainability of nutrient cycling processes associated with arable land management (U. Aberdeen and SRUC). 2014-2017. Principal Supervisor - Prof. Bryan Griffiths (SRUC)
Purnomo Sidi - The suitability of Eichomia cressipes as loss circultion material on oil and gas drilling industry. 2013-2017. Principal Supervisor - Dr. Waheed Afzal (School of Engineering). Funded by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Republic of Indonesia.
Marianne Kuntz – Does soil organic matter, matter? (U. Aberdeen and SRUC). 2013-2016. Principal Supervisor – Prof. Liz Baggs
NERC: MIDST-CZ: Maximising Impact by Decision Support Tools for sustainable soil and water through UK-China Critical Zone science. NE/S009167/1. Natural Environment Research Council/Newton Fund. 56 partners in the UK and China, 2019-2021, £1097k - PI
BBSRC: NUCLEUS: a virtual joint centre to deliver enhanced Nitrogen Use effiCiency via an integrated SoiL-plant systEms approach for the Uk & BraSil. BB/N013204/1. Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)/Newton Fund. with S. Mooney (Nottingham, PI), Bangor, Rothamsted and 7 Brazilian partners, 2016-2019, £2241k - CoI
ESRC: Improving Organic Resource use in rural Ethiopia (IPORE). ES/P002501/1. ESRC/NEXUS. with E. Phimister (Aberdeen, PI), J. Smith (Aberdeen), A. Fekadu (S. Nations, Ethiopia), W. Bori (IWMI, Ethiopia), T. Tefera (Hawassa, Ethiopia), G. Yakub (SARI, Ethiopia) and A. Fekadu (SARI, Ethiopia), 2016-2018, £166k - CoI
NERC: Building Resilience in Ethiopia's Awassa region to Drought (BREAD. NERC El Nino. NE/P004830/1. with J. Smith (Aberdeen, PI), E. Phimister (Aberdeen), A. Byg (JHI), M. Rivington (JHI), H. Black (JHI), T. Tefera (Hawassa, Ethiopia) and A. Fischer (JHI), 2016-2018, £297k - CoI
NERC: Red Soil CZ: From natural to anthropogenic evolution of Red Soil and its impact on ecosystem function in the Critical Zone. NE/N007611/1. J. Smith (SBS Aberdeen) and J. Geris (Geosciences Aberdeen), and M. Hodson (York). In collaboration with the Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2016-2019, £800k - PI
BBSRC: Rhizosphere by design: breeding to select root traits that physically manipulate soil. BB/L026058/1. T. Roose and I. Sinclair (Southampton), G. Bengough (Dundee) and T. George (JHI), 2014-18, £1363k - PI
EPSRC: Rooting for sustainable performance. EP/M019713G. Bengough (Dundee, PI), J. Knappett, D. Muir Wood, J. Smethurst (Southampton), T. Roose, I. Sinclar, W. Powrie. 2015-2019. £1578k - CoI
NERC: Multi-Vis: A high resolution large scale X-Ray CT Scanner to build a multi-scale environmental science focussed facility in northern UK. Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Strategic Environmental Science Capital Call, with Dubravka Pokrajac. 2015. £350k - PI
ESRC: Network of Organic Resource use in rural Africa (NORA). Nexus research partnership programme Networking Grant. E. Phimister (PI), J. Smith, B. Balana (IWMI, Ghana), A. Fekadu (SARI, Ethiopia), A. Fischer (JHI), H. Homans, P. Smith, T. Tefera (U. Hawassa, Ethiopia). £20k - CoI
CREW (Scottish Government). Effect of soil structure and field drainage on water quality and flood risk. Allan Lilly and Nikki Baggaley (JHI), Bruce Ball (SRUC) and Bill Crookes (SAC Consulting). £140k - PI
AHDB - Potato Council - Platforms to test and demonstrate sustainable soil management: integration of major UK field experiments, Potato Council, with B. McKenzie (PI), T. George (JHI), Mark Stalham and David Firman (CUF), 2012-2016, £210k, Co-I
AHDB - HGCA - Platforms to test and demonstrate sustainable soil management: integration of major UK field experiments, HGCA, with B. McKenzie, T. George, T. Valentine, and A. Newton (JHI) and Ron Stobart (NIAB), 2012-2016, £644k – PI transferred to BM on move to U. Aberdeen
Course Coordinator - MSc Soil Science
EV3001/SS5008 - Global Soil Geography (Course Coordinator)
PL3309/SS5305 - Soils for Food Security (Course Co-Coordinator)
BI1509 - Ecology and Environmental Sciences (Laboratory Tutorials)
BI25P4 - Plants, People, and the Environment (Lecture)
- Further Info
NERC Peer Review College, Core Panel Member
Technical Editor, SOIL
Associate Editor, European Journal of Soil Science
Co-Editor, Journal of Hydrology and Hydromechanics
Director of Postgraduate Research (from June 2019), School of Biological Sciences
Member of Senate
MSc Soil Science, Course Coordinator
Page 1 of 14 Results 1 to 10 of 135
- Lin, H, Lourenço, SDN, Yao, T, Zhou, Z, Yeung, AT, Hallett, PD, Paton, GI, Shih, K, Hau, BCH & Cheuk, JCY 2019, 'Imparting water repellency in completely decomposed granite with Tung oil' Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 230, pp. 1316-1328. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.05.032
- Gao, L, Wang, Y, Geris, J, Hallett, PD & Peng, X 2019, 'The role of sampling strategy on apparent temporal stability of soil moisture under subtropical hydroclimatic conditions' Journal of hydrology and hydromechanics, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 260-270. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/johh-2019-0006
- Behrends Kraemer, F, Hallett, PD, Morrás, H, Garibaldi, L, Cosentino, D, Duval, M & Galantini, J 2019, 'Soil stabilisation by water repellency under no-till management for soils with contrasting mineralogy and carbon quality' Geoderma, vol. 355, 113902. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2019.113902
- Verrot, L, Geris, J, Gao, L, Peng, X, Oyesiku-Blakemore, J, Smith, JU, Hodson, ME, Zhang, G & Hallett, PD 2019, 'A simple modelling framework for shallow subsurface water storage and flow' Water , vol. 11, no. 8, 1725. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/w11081725
- Smith, J, Nayak, DR, Albanito, F, Balana, BB, Black, HIJ, Boke, S, Brand, AM, Byg, A, Dinato, M, Habte, M, Hallett, PD, Argaw, TL, Mekuria, W, Moges, A, Muluneh, A, Novo, P, Rivington, M, Tefera, T, Vanni, M, Yakob, G & Phimister, EC 2019, 'Treatment of organic resources before soil incorporation in semi-arid regions improves resilience to El Niño, and increases crop production and economic returns' Environmental Research Letters, vol. 14, no. 8, 085004. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ab2b1b
- Shu, X, Hallett, PD, Liu, M, Baggs, EM, Hu, F & Griffiths, BS 2019, 'Resilience of soil functions to transient and persistent stresses is improved more by residue incorporation than the activity of earthworms' Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 139, pp. 10-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2019.03.008
- Oleghe, E, Naveed, M, Baggs, EM & Hallett, PD 2019, 'Residues with varying decomposability interact differently with seed or root exudate compounds to affect the biophysical behaviour of soil' Geoderma, vol. 343, pp. 50-59. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2019.02.023
- Fang, H, Rong, H, Hallett, PD, Mooney, SJ, Zhang, W, Zhou, H & Peng, X 2019, 'Impact of soil puddling intensity on the root system architecture of rice (Oryza sativa L.) seedlings' Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 193, pp. 1-7. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2019.05.022
- Liu, S, Guo, ZC, Pan, YB, Zhang, LL, Hallett, PD & Peng, XH 2019, 'Rare earth oxides for labelling soil aggregate turnover: Impacts of soil properties, labelling method and aggregate structure' Geoderma, vol. 351, pp. 36-48. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2019.05.015
- Naveed, M, Ahmed, MA, Benard, P, Brown, LK, George, TS, Bengough, AG, Roose, T, Koebernick, N & Hallett, PD 2019, 'Surface tension, rheology and hydrophobicity of rhizodeposits and seed mucilage influence soil water retention and hysteresis' Plant and Soil, vol. 437, no. 1-2, pp. 65-81. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-019-03939-9