- fax 01467624657
The University of Aberdeen
G43 23 St Machar Drive
Aberdeen AB24 3UU
1968-1971 Graduate Apprenticeship with English Electric/Lanchester Polytechnic. Gained a BSc in Mechanical engineering. CEng in 1974.
1971-1972 Postgraduate research (wet steam turbines) at Lanchester Polytechnic.
1972-1973 Schlumberger, Field engineer, Burgos and St Carlos, Spain
1974-1975 Schlumberger, Lead engineer, Siracusa,Crotone & Pescara, Italy.
1975-1977 Schlumberger, Training Center Manager, Livingstone, Scotland
1977-1980 Schlumberger, District Manager Qatar, Doha, Qatar.
1980-1981 Schlumberger, Product Development Engineer, Paris, France.
1981-1985 Schlumberger, South American Interpretation Manager. Caracas, Venezuela.
1986-1989 Schlumberger, Principle Scientist, Schlumberger DRC, Ridgefield, Ct, USA.
1989-1993 Schlumberger, Marketing Director United Kingdom. Aberdeen.
1993-1995 Schlumberger, Marketing Manager Europe & FSU. Hannover, Germany
1995-1998 Schlumberger, Corporate New Technology Manager, Paris, France.
1999-2003 Schlumberger, Evaluation Services Manager - North Africa, Algeria
2003-2004 Schlumberger, Operations Manager-N Africa. Hassi-Messaoud, Algeria.
2004-2005 MSc. Environmental Science – University of Aberdeen.
2004-2008 PhD in Systems Biology –University of Aberdeen
2008-present Research Fellow –University of Aberdeen
Climate change, Carbon impact and efficiency of energy use, soil GHG emissions, modelling crop growth and soil chemistry, Miscanthus breeding, agronomy, chemistry, production and use, Life cycle analysis of energy and material use, geological reservoir characterization and modelling, fluid flow and measurement in porous media, carbon capture and storage, CO2 behavior in rocks, Petrophysics and NMR measurement techniques.
GHG Europe project - Modelling attribution of anthropological and natural drivers to GHG emissions.
UKERC - Spatial modelling of biomass production and use in the UK, specializing in Miscanthus.
GIANT-LINK - Devopoling models of Miscanthus traits to aid selection of germplasm in selective breeding for specific environments.
Jatropha growth and soil carbon modelling with Prof. Meenu Saraf University of Gujarat, India.
Miscanthus modelling with Dr John Clifton-Brown, IBERS, Aberystwyth University, Wales.
Soil carbon modelling with Prof Mike Jones and Dr Mohamed Abdalla, Trinity College Dublin, Eire.
Shell UK Ltd, £150,000.00 to develop a third party version of MiscanFor Jan 2011-April 2012.
DECC - GIANT-LINK £50,000.00 to model miscanthus Jan 2011-Jan 2015
FP7-KBBE - OPTIMISC - Subcontract to IBERS Aberystwyth £45k for Miscanthus modelling (not finalized yet)
Ad-hoc lectures on modelling.
- Further Info
Program committee Memeber for the EUROPEC meeting a collaboration of the EAGE and SPE.
Paper selection Committee for Offshore Europe SPE technical meeting.
Reviewer for Biomass and Bioenergy, GCB, GCB-B, AgForMEt, AGEE, JPT, JCPT, SPE-FE, Sustainable agriculture, Bioenergy Research, European Journal of Forest Research, Environmental Science and Technology, Soil and Tillage research.
Project Reviewer for Ireland EPA, DECC-UK, Croatian Science Foundation, FAO, University of Hong Kong.
PECOS for Modelling Group.
Page 1 of 9 Results 1 to 10 of 83
- Milev, G, Hastings, A & Al-Habaibeh, A 2019, 'Investigating The Effect of Expanding The Use of Electric Cars On The Environment: A Case Study From Scotland' Paper presented at The International Conference on Energy and Sustainable Futures (ICESF) 2019, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 9/09/19 - 11/09/19, .
- Abdalla, M, Hastings, A, Cheng, K, Yue, Q, Chadwick, D, Espenberg, M, Truu, J, Rees, RM & Smith, P 2019, 'A critical review of the impacts of cover crops on nitrogen leaching, net greenhouse gas balance and crop productivity' Global Change Biology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2530-2543. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14644
- Albanito, F, Hastings, A, Fitton, N, Richards, M, Martin, M, Mac Dowell, N, Bell, D, Taylor, SC, Butnar, I, Li, PH, Slade, R & Smith, P 2019, 'Mitigation potential and environmental impact of centralized versus distributed BECCS with domestic biomass production in Great Britain' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12630
- Shepherd, A, Hartman, MD, Fitton, N, Horrocks, CA, Dunn, RM, Hastings, A & Cardenas, LM 2019, 'Metrics of biomass, live-weight gain and nitrogen loss of ryegrass sheep pasture in the 21st century' Science of the Total Environment, vol. 685, pp. 428-441. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.05.038
- Taft, HE, Cross, PA, Hastings, A, Yeluripati, J & Jones, DL 2019, 'Estimating greenhouse gases emissions from horticultural peat soils using a DNDC modelling approach' Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 233, pp. 681-694. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.11.113
- Clifton-Brown, J, Harfouche, A, Casler, MD, Jones, HD, Macalpine, WJ, Murphy-Bokern, D, Smart, LB, Adler, A, Ashman, C, Awty-Carroll, D, Bastien, C, Bopper, S, Botnari, V, Brancourt-Hulmel, M, Chen, Z, Clark, LV, Cosentino, S, Dalton, S, Davey, C, Dolstra, O, Donnison, I, Flavell, R, Greef, J, Hanley, S, Hastings, A, Hertzberg, M, Hsu, T-W, Huang, L, Iurato, A, Jensen, E, Jin, X, Jørgensen, U, Kiesel, A, Kim, D-S, Liu, J, McCalmont, JP, McMahon, BG, Mos, M, Robson, P, Sacks, EJ, Sandu, A, Scalici, G, Schwarz, K, Scordia, D, Shafiei, R, Shield, I, Slavov, G, Stanton, BJ, Swaminathan, K, Taylor, G, Torres, AF, Trindade, LM, Tschaplinski, T, Tuskan, J, Yamada, T, Yeon Yu, C, -Fs Zalesny, R, Zong, J & Lewandowski, I 2019, 'Breeding progress and preparedness for mass‐scale deployment of perennial lignocellulosic biomass crops switchgrass, miscanthus, willow and poplar' Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 118-151. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcbb.12566
- Huang, LS, Flavell, R, Donnison, IS, Chiang, Y-C, Hastings, A, Hayes, C, Heidt, C, Hong, H, Hsu, T-W, Humphreys, M, Jackson, J, Norris, J, Schwarz, K-U, Squance, M, Swaller, T, Thomas, ID, Van Assche, W, Xi, Q, Yamada, T, Youell, S & Clifton-Brown, J 2018, 'Collecting wild Miscanthus germplasm in Asia for crop improvement and conservation in Europe whilst adhering to the guidelines of the United Nations' Convention on Biological Diversity' Annals of Botany. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcy231
- Ledo, A, Heathcote, R, Hastings, A, Smith, P & Hillier, J 2018, 'Perennial-GHG: A new generic allometric model to estimate biomass accumulation and greenhouse gas emissions in perennial food and bioenergy crops' Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 102, pp. 292-305. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2017.12.005
- Hastings, A, Smith, P, Clifton-Brown, J & Taylor, G 2018, 'Future biomass supply for low carbon European energy provision in a changing world' TERRAenVISION Environmental Issues Today, Barcelona, Spain, 29/01/18 - 2/02/18, pp. 1-2.
- Abdalla, M, Hastings, A, Chadwick, DR, Jones, DL, Evans, CD, Jones, MB, Rees, RM & Smith, P 2018, 'Critical review of the impacts of grazing intensity on soil organic carbon storage and other soil quality indicators in extensively managed grasslands' Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 253, pp. 62-81. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.10.023