The nutritional science behind our food choices will be explored in a unique event taking place in Aberdeenshire next month.
Award-winning chef, Lesley Gillespie will team up with scientist Dr Vanessa Rungapamestry from the University of Aberdeen Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, for a workshop showcasing how to select and prepare healthy meals.
Taking place at the Garioch Community Kitchen in Inverurie, the event is aimed at those over 60, and will celebrate older people’s week.
Lesley – winner of the Scottish Student Chef Challenge– will demonstrate how to create a range of dishes, whilst Dr Rungapamestry discusses the nutritional benefits of the ingredients used.
Attendees will then have the chance to produce the recipes under Lesley’s guidance.
The event – entitled Come Fine Dine with Me - takes place on Friday October 4 from 11am-2pm. Tickets cost £5 and this price covers all ingredients and recipe cards.
Dr Rungapamestry said: “Diet plays a critical role in maintaining health regardless of age, but is particularly important for older people who may be more vulnerable to nutritional deficiency. The benefits of eating nutritious meals help to maintain a strong immune system, and keep muscles, bones, heart and other organs healthy in older adults. Raising awareness of how to prepare nutritious and appealing meals in this age group should therefore be encouraged.”
Lesley said: “The emphasis of the workshop will be to give those attending an insight into creating dishes that are simple, nutritious, delicious and impressive enough to serve at for example a dinner party.”
Janette Gascoine from the Garioch Community Kitchen said: “We’re delighted to host the event as part of older people’s week and give members of the community a chance to understand how the food choices they make can enhance their overall health.”
For more information on Come Fine Dine with Me visit http://gariochcommunitykitchen.org/ . Tickets are available by contacting Janette Gascoine on 07841025176.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2011
- Mar There are no items for March 2011
- Apr There are no items for April 2011
- Jun There are no items for June 2011
- Jul There are no items for July 2011
- Oct There are no items for October 2011
- Nov There are no items for November 2011
- Dec There are no items for December 2011
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- May There are no items for May 2010
- Jun There are no items for June 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Sep There are no items for September 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Nov There are no items for November 2010