What our diets could look like in the future, and how our food choices impact on the environment, will be among the topics under the spotlight at a conference in Aberdeen.
80 experts in nutrition and health will gather for the two day meeting entitled Future Food and Health, organised by the Nutrition Society and hosted by the University of Aberdeen.
The relationship between what we eat, our own individual genetic make-up and our overall health, and innovations in food production which are helping develop healthier foods for society, will also be discussed at the event.
Dr Leone Craig, Research Fellow in the Public Health Nutrition Research Group at the University of Aberdeen and the local organiser for the conference said: “The meeting is an opportunity to bring together key experts in nutrition and health from across the UK to discuss latest thinking on the future of our food consumption and health.”
Dr Alison Jenkinson Senior Lecturer in Medical Sciences at the University of Aberdeen and Chair of the Scottish Section of the Nutrition Society said: “Food security will be among the topics addressed, looking at how we can ensure the provision of food for the population in the future.“
The impact of climate change will form part of this discussion where we will consider how the foods we choose to eat have a direct impact on the environment.
“Some foods have greater environmental impact than others and choosing to eat foods produced closer to home is not solely the answer, we should also be mindful that particular types of foods use more energy and water to produce, and create more emissions.“
How we should tailor our diets to our own individual genetic make-up for the benefit of our overall health will be highlighted, and the latest innovations which are bringing healthier foods to the marketplace will also be showcased.”
The Future Food and Health conference takes place from March 26-27 at the University of Aberdeen’s King’s College Conference Centre.
Speakers and delegates from the conference will attend a civic reception at Aberdeen’s Town House this evening (Monday March 26) which will be hosted by Councillor Alan Milne.
For more information on the conference visit www.nutritionsociety.org/scottish-section-meeting-2012
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items to show for January 2011
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2011
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2011
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2011
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2011
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2011
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2011
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2011
- Jan There are no items to show for January 2010
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2010
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2010
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2010
- May There are no items to show for May 2010
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2010
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2010
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2010
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2010
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2010
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2010