Scientists from the University of Aberdeen Rowett Institute are trying to discover if increasing the levels of zinc in our diets can improve our health, and are seeking 45 healthy men to help them investigate further.
The team are looking to explore whether eating potatoes with added zinc improves the health of a group of volunteers.
In order to allow potential volunteers to find out more about the study, and to see around the new state of the art Human Nutrition Unit at the Rowett Institute, the researchers will host a tour of the facility and information session next week, which is open to students, staff and members of the public. The event will take place on October, 06 at 1pm.
Sylvia Stephen, HNU Manager, said: “This is a great opportunity for people to come along and have a look at our fantastic new facility and also to find out much more about what being a volunteer involves.
“The research that is carried out here at the Rowett Institute is extremely important, however we really rely on members of the public to get involved and help us.
“This particular study is eligible for men aged between 18 and 50, and it will last for 36 days, during which time they will have to make seven trips to the institute, which can seem like quite a commitment. Volunteers will receive the food they need to eat for the study and will also receive £100 to cover their travel expenses.”
Professor John Beattie who is the leading the study added: “This study is looking at the way in which potatoes containing higher amounts of the essential nutrient zinc can improve our health. We believe that this is an important way to meet our dietary needs for zinc and prevent zinc deficiency.”
The event will take place from 1pm to 3pm, and will begin with a short presentation from Professor Beattie in the seminar room at the Rowett Institute. Admission to the event is free however anyone interested in attending should contact David Bremner on 01224 438785 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book their place.
This research is funded by the Scottish Government.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2011
- Mar There are no items for March 2011
- Apr There are no items for April 2011
- Jun There are no items for June 2011
- Jul There are no items for July 2011
- Oct There are no items for October 2011
- Nov There are no items for November 2011
- Dec There are no items for December 2011
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- May There are no items for May 2010
- Jun There are no items for June 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Sep There are no items for September 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Nov There are no items for November 2010