The following gives a list of suggested seminar titles designed for
students having studied the accompanying resource and appropriate texts cited in
- History of research into the Rhynie chert.
- Origin of the Rhynie chert as a hot-spring deposit.
- What is a geothermal system?
- Terrestrial arthropods in the Rhynie chert.
- Aquatic arthropods in the Rhynie chert.
- The structure of one of the Rhynie chert plants (use any plant).
- Fossilisation in the Rhynie chert.
- Evolutionary importance of the Rhynie chert plants.
- Rhynie chert compared with modern sinters deposited from hot-springs.
- Source of the Rhynie hot-spring fluids.
- Composition of the Rhynie hot-spring fluids.
- Role of fungi in the Early Devonian Rhynie ecosystem.
- The life cycle of a typical terrestrial plant from the Rhynie chert -
sporophytes and gametophytes.
- Plant spores in the Rhynie chert and associated sedimentary rocks.