The following is a list of suggested written examination questions designed for
students having studied the accompanying resource and appropriate texts cited in
- Discuss the importance of the Rhynie chert flora to palaeobotany.
- Was the Rhynie chert flora typical of Early Devonian
terrestrial/freshwater environments? Discuss.
- What is the evidence that the Rhynie chert was originally deposited as
siliceous hot-spring sinters in the Early Devonian?
- Discuss the events that resulted in the preservation of Devonian plants in
growth position in the Rhynie chert.
- Discuss the relationships of the Rhynie chert plants to extant taxonomic
- Compare and contrast textural features of the Rhynie chert with those of
modern hot-spring sinters.
- Discuss the Rhynie chert fauna in relation to modern arthropod faunas from
- Discuss the evidence that shows that the plants found in the Rhynie chert were preserved both whilst living, and/or after various stages of decay.
- What is the evidence that the Rhynie chert plants and animals were
- Considering the alternation of generations in plants, describe the full
life history of one of the Rhynie chert terrestrial plants.