The following areas will be covered:
- a brief introduction to the sociological perspective
- recognising the ways in which social contexts and systems shape a personsâ€™ perception and construction of reality
- developing an understanding of the implications of working as a counsellor in multi disciplinary settings
- An exploration of counselling as an agent of change and/or of social control
- introduce theoretical frameworks for other counselling orientations, vital for the ability to understand the place of person centred counselling and to be
- able to articulate and discuss therapeutic interventions with colleagues from other disciplines
Within the supportive environment of course groups students will continue the development of personal and professional awareness fundamental to person centred counsellors. Course members will be expected to accept and advocate a value system fostering trust, openness and non-judgemental acceptance.