Last modified: 27 Feb 2018 19:35
This module focuses on the design, implementation and quality control of geophysical data acquisition in the field. The theory and practical aspects of modern data collection for seismic reflection, seismic refraction, magnetic, resistivity, gravity, electro-magnetic (EM) and passive seismology will be taught so that the students will be equipped to plan and undertake their own geophysical experiments focusing on a variety of geophysical targets. The use of a variety of geophysical equipment in the field will form a significant component of this module.
|Session||First Sub Session||Credit Points||15 credits (7.5 ECTS credits)|
1. Fieldwork Safety
2. Factors controlling geophysical survey design
3. Acquisition and processing of gravity and magnetic data
4. Role of EM, resistivity, gravity and magnetic methods in the hydrocarbon industry
5. Familiarity with geophysical field acquisition and associated data processing and interpretation
6. Self potential, fixed and moving source resistivity methods
7. Physical basis of electro-magnetic (EM) technique, EM and magnetotelluric surveying, GPR (ground penetrating radar methods)
8. 2D and 3D seismic reflection acquisition
9. Passive seismology arrays for imaging and monitoring
10. Structure and context of geophysical reports
11. Extended field class; processing and interpretation of data on the fieldwork campaign
Sorry, we don't have that information available.
There are in-course exercises for formative feedback. The summative element consists of two exercises, totalling 60% of the assessment, and an examinations (40%). The exercises are: 1. a workbook recording practical work throughout the whole course (30%), and 2. an assigned exercise (30%). The examination will be by multiple choice and will be computer-marked.