Last modified: 16 Nov 2016 18:08
· Independent research project that can cover any area of forestry: it may be computer, laboratory, greenhouse or field based;
· The project provides a thorough training in managing all aspects of a research project from inception to delivery of a thesis in the format of a paper for an international scientific journal;
· Projects can be based anywhere in the world and often are associated with on-going cutting-edge research by academic staff;
· Collaboration with external organisations is encouraged to enable students to gain a greater range of experience.
|Session||Second Sub Session||Credit Points||60 credits (30 ECTS credits)|
|Campus||Old Aberdeen||Sustained Study||No|
· Research project involving independent data collection and interpretation.
· To demonstrate critical thinking within a selected research subject
· To collect, manage and interpret empirical and/or modelled data
· To write in a scientific manner similar to that required by peer-reviewed publications
Main Learning Outcomes:
· How to manage time and resources in a research project
· To review scientific literature
· How to link project data to scientific literature findings
· To interpret data and present it in a valid and critical manner
· To develop a critical appraisal of a research project and place this in a scientific context
· To demonstrate written and oral communication as a research scientist
· To maintain a laboratory or field notebook
The thesis will be in the style of manuscript for an agreed academic journal reflecting the particular discipline of the research project conducted. The field/laboratory notebook will also be submitted to make sure that the data are original and collected by the student. Marks are awarded both on account of the quality of the research performed, on the data analysis carried out, as well as the presentation and interpretation of the results. There are two internal University markers, one of them being the project supervisor.
Sorry, we don't have that information available.