Our Master of Public Health (MPH) combines the traditional pillars of public health (e.g. Health Protection and Health Improvement) along with emerging domains such as Health Informatics and Women’s health together with training in fundamental research skills. The programme is ideally suited to healthcare professionals looking to combine clinical and academic skills; and those from other disciplines interested in pursuing careers in academic public health, NGOs, teaching or industry.
At a Glance
This MPH covers the core disciplines and emerging domains of public health, enabling you to gain experience oriented towards either the development of a professional career in public health practice such as working in the community, policy development or the pursuit of an academic career.
You will be taught by academics and expert practitioners from a broad range of disciplines including epidemiology, statistics, health informatics, public health, women’s health, public health policy and global health to give you a holistic understanding of Public Health. Your learning is enriched by the interaction with other students from varied clinical, non-clinical, professional and cultural backgrounds.
Undertaking this MPH does not require any particular specialist knowledge (e.g. clinical).
This programme is available to start in January 2024*.
What You'll Study
We will endeavour to make all course options available; however, these may be subject to timetabling and other constraints. Depending on start date, courses may vary or change.
Fundamentals of Research Design (QH5001) Applied Statistics (QH5002) Epidemiology (QH5003) Key Concepts in Global Health (QH5004) Public Health in Action (QH5505) Systematic Reviewing (QH5506) Health Informatics (QH5507) Women’s Health in Global Settings (QH5508) Evaluating Policy Effects in Practice (QH5910) Public Health Literature Review (QH5909)
How You’ll Study
A variety of different approaches (e.g. coursework, presentations to assess student understanding, progress and performance throughout the programme.
Why Study for a Master in Public Health?
- The MPH will help you develop the knowledge and the skills to tackle Public Health challenges by providing a multi-disciplinary approach to health care.
- You will experience a supportive collegiate learning environment that offers interaction with both leading academic researchers and experienced public health practitioners.
- The programme covers core topics in public health from a broad range of disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives that will set you up to respond to the needs of communities and populations around the world.
- You will have the opportunity to identify real life relevant topics and be able to consolidate the evidence by undertaking a literature review and evaluating policy. research projects in public health issues will provide you with opportunities to apply the skills gained from the taught elements of the course to influence policy and practice.
- Part-time study will help you navigate your learning effectively and have a good work-life balance.
General Academic Entry Requirements (Postgraduate)
All candidates are reviewed on a case-by-case basis taking into account their qualifications and experience. The application process will include an interview with the Postgraduate Programme Director. The entry criteria and sign-off for an offer for study will be agreed by the relevant School and the University of Aberdeen Selection Team. The normal minimum expectation is that the students will have the equivalent of a UK 2nd Class Honours Degree and a level of English Proficiency as detailed below.
English Language Requirements
To study for a Postgraduate Taught degree at the University of Aberdeen it is essential that you can speak, understand, read, and write English fluently. The minimum requirements for this degree are as follows:
- IELTS Academic: OVERALL - 6.5 with: Listening - 5.5; Reading - 6.0; Speaking - 5.5; Writing - 6.0
- TOEFL iBT: OVERALL - 90 with: Listening - 17; Reading - 21; Speaking - 20; Writing - 21
- PTE Academic: OVERALL - 62 with: Listening - 59; Reading - 59; Speaking - 59; Writing - 59
- Cambridge English Advanced & Proficiency: OVERALL - 176 with: Listening - 162; Reading - 162; Speaking - 169; Writing - 169
- The tuition fee is 105,000 QR per programme.
- Tuition fees are fixed at the point of entry so there is no annual increase for returning students.
- Flexible payment methods are available.