My research interests lie in cultural evolution (how information changes as it is transmitted from person to person), with a view to examining the social and cognitive factors underpinning stereotype formation and maintenance as well as an interest in stereotypes more generally. I am also a member of The Self Lab with Dr Sheila Cunningham (Abertay University) and Dr Josephine Ross (Dundee University), where our focus is on understanding self-processing biases in both children and adults.
PS2018/PS2518 Practical Workshops
PS3015/PS3522 Group Practical Projects
PS4030/PS4036/PS4530/PS4536 Critical Reviews
MSc Psychological Studies Tutorials
- Further Info
PS1009/PS1509 Course Cordinator
Member of Undergraduate Committee
Page 1 of 1 Results 1 to 9 of 9
- Ross, J, Hutchison, J & Cunningham, SJ 2020, 'The Me in memory: The role of the self in autobiographical memory development', Child Development, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. e299-e314. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/cdev.13211
- Cunningham, SJ, Scott, L, Hutchison, J, Ross, J & Martin, D 2018, 'Applying Self-Processing Biases in Education: Improving Learning Through Ownership', Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 342-351. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jarmac.2018.04.004
- Hutchison, J, Cunningham, SJ, Slessor, G, Urquhart, J, Smith, K & Martin, D 2018, 'Context and Perceptual Salience Influence the Formation of Novel Stereotypes via Cumulative Cultural Evolution', Cognitive Science, vol. 42, no. S1, pp. 186-212. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/cogs.12560
- Martin, D, Cunningham, SJ, Hutchison, J, Slessor, G & Smith, K 2017, 'How societal stereotypes might form and evolve via cumulative cultural evolution', Social and Personality Psychology Compass , vol. 11, no. 9, e12338, pp. 1-13. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/spc3.12338
- Hutchison, J, Ross, J & Cunningham, SJ 2017, 'The me in memory: Using the self-construct to predict the self-reference effect in early childhood', Paper presented at International Convention of Psychological Science, Vienna, Austria, 23/03/17 - 25/03/17.
- Hutchison, J, Cunningham, SJ & Ross, J 2016, The Me in Memory: Exploring the developing self and its influence on cognition. in The Me in Memory: Exploring the developing self and its influence on cognition. British Psychological Society Cognitive Section, Barcelona, Spain, 30/08/16.
- Hutchison, J & Martin, D 2015, The evolution of stereotypes. in V Zeigler-Hill, LLM Welling & TK Shackelford (eds), Evolutionary Perspectives on Social Psychology. vol. Part V, Evolutionary Psychology, Springer , pp. 291-301. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-12697-5_23
- Martin, D, Swainson, R, Slessor, G, Hutchison, J, Marosi, D-M & Cunningham, SJ 2015, 'The simultaneous extraction of multiple social categories from unfamiliar faces', Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, vol. 60, pp. 51-58. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2015.03.009
- Martin, D, Hutchison, J, Slessor, G, Urquhart, J, Cunningham, SJ & Smith, K 2014, 'The Spontaneous Formation of Stereotypes via Cumulative Cultural Evolution', Psychological Science, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1777-1786. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797614541129