Annual Anderson Lecture - Professor Lisa Feldman Barrett-
Emotion: Separating Facts from Fiction
Children Create Design Features of Language: Insights from Gestures and an Emerging Sign Language-
Why does language have the properties they have? The goal of my presentation is to provide evidence for the idea that some of the design features of language (Hocket, 1956) has emerged (partly) due to children's tendency to shape communication systems into "language-like" ones. I will discuss two design features...
Getting a Grip on Human Tool Use: A Sensorimotor Perspective-
The ability to use complex tools is arguably a defining human characteristic. The modal account of how this is achieved is that tools are ‘incorporated’ into the body schema—the putative internal representation of our bodies (Head & Holmes, 1911)—in order to control them as if they are a part of...
How Does Dialect Exposure Affect Literacy Acquisitions?-
Some educators are worried that children’s exposure to local dialects such as Doric or Dundonian Scots may impair their literacy acquisition due to competition between lexical variants such as English ‘house’ vs. Scots ‘hoose’. However, empirical evidence to support such worries is scant. A few studies from children exposed to...
The 'Clever' Hand - How We Explore the World by Active Touch-
Perception is an active process during that we purposively gather sensory information. Haptic perception is the prime example for this principle. When people aim to judge an object by active touch, they first have to appropriately explore the object in order to obtain the relevant sensory information. Often a single...
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items to show for January 2018
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018