I am an experimental social psychologist who is primarily interested in social cognition. I received both an MA (2000) and PhD (2005) in Psychology from the University of Aberdeen. Following my PhD, I worked as a post-doc in Aberdeen for a further 3-years, before lecturing at Northumbria University for a year in 2008/09. I re-joined the School of Psychology in Aberdeen as a lecturer in the summer of 2009.
Much of my published research examines how people extract social category information from faces. However, much of my work is now devoted to examining the social and cognitive factors that lead to the formation of stereotypes. My research is currently funded by grants from the ESRC (2017-2020) and the Experimental Psychology Society (2018-19).
I run the Person Peception Lab (http://www.personperceptionlab.org).
- Person perception
- Stereotype formation and application
- Extracting social information from faces
2018-2019: Establishing how episodic memories of individual encounters with other people support the formation of semantic knowledge for social categories. EPS Small Grants Scheme. £3500.
2017-2020: Establishing how intergroup bias influences the formation and evolution of stereotypes. ESRC Resarch Grants Scheme. £294, 894.
2011-2014: Formation of stereotypes through cumulative cultural transmission. ESRC First Grants Scheme. £162, 201.
2012-2013: Does unattended face information trigger switch costs when attending to other social categories? EPS Small Grants Scheme, £2500.
- Level 1: Social Psychology
- Level 2: Social Development
- Further Info
- Chair of School Equality and Diversity team
- School Athena SWAN lead
- School Gender Action Plan lead
- Undergraduate recruitment coordinator
- Member of the School Marketing team
- Member of the School Communications team
- Member of University Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
- Member of the University Gender Action Plan team
- Member of the University Reward Strategy Working Group
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 27
- Slessor, G, Finnerty, A, Papp, J, Smith, DT & Martin, D 2019, 'Gaze-cueing and endogenous attention operate in parallel', Acta Psychologica, vol. 192, pp. 172-180. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actpsy.2018.11.006
- Cunningham, SJ, Scott, L, Hutchison, J, Ross, J & Martin, D 2018, 'Applying Self-Processing Biases in Education: Improving Learning Through Ownership', Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 342-351. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jarmac.2018.04.004
- Hutchison, J, Cunningham, SJ, Slessor, G, Urquhart, J, Smith, K & Martin, D 2018, 'Context and Perceptual Salience Influence the Formation of Novel Stereotypes via Cumulative Cultural Evolution', Cognitive Science, vol. 42, no. S1, pp. 186-212. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/cogs.12560
- Martin, D, Cunningham, SJ, Hutchison, J, Slessor, G & Smith, K 2017, 'How societal stereotypes might form and evolve via cumulative cultural evolution', Social and Personality Psychology Compass , vol. 11, no. 9, e12338, pp. 1-13. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/spc3.12338
- Allan, K, Morson, S, Dixon, S, Martin, D & Cunningham, SJ 2017, 'Simulation-based mentalizing generates a ‘proxy’ self-reference effect in memory', Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1074-1084. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17470218.2016.1209532
- Swainson, R, Martin, D & Prosser, LJ 2017, 'Task-switch costs subsequent to cue-only trials', Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 1453-1470. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17470218.2016.1188321
- Hutchison, J & Martin, D 2015, The evolution of stereotypes. in V Zeigler-Hill, LLM Welling & TK Shackelford (eds), Evolutionary Perspectives on Social Psychology. vol. Part V, Evolutionary Psychology, Springer , pp. 291-301. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-12697-5_23
- Martin, D, Swainson, R, Slessor, G, Hutchison, J, Marosi, D-M & Cunningham, SJ 2015, 'The simultaneous extraction of multiple social categories from unfamiliar faces', Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, vol. 60, pp. 51-58. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2015.03.009
- Martin, D, Hutchison, J, Slessor, G, Urquhart, J, Cunningham, SJ & Smith, K 2014, 'The Spontaneous Formation of Stereotypes via Cumulative Cultural Evolution', Psychological Science, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1777-1786. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797614541129
- Swainson, R & Martin, D 2013, 'Covert judgements are sufficient to trigger subsequent task-switching costs', Psychological Research, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 434-448. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00426-012-0448-6