Have you engaged wider audiences (e.g. public, policy makers, business and industry) with your research?
- If yes, reflect on the skills you have developed in doing so including your ability to summarise and interpret complex and specialist matters to suit different audiences with varying levels of expertise.
Have you considered how you will evaluate the success of the activity?
• If no, what activities or course could you undertake to help you gain this experience and/or expertise in this area? Think about events, such as your local 3 Minute Thesis Competition.
• Can you identify the stakeholders/beneficiaries associated with your research? How might you go about engaging with them? Can they inform your research?
Describe possible activities you could undertake with your stakeholders. Which teams across the University will it be important to engage with?
Are you interacting with stakeholders and end-users in your research?
- If not, why is that? Have you thought about how to do this? Have you discussed this with your supervisor(s)?
- If yes, how can you expand your stakeholder pool?
- If yes, are your stakeholders getting what they need from your research?
Can you reflect on the potential for impact your research has. Do you understand what impact means in your discipline?
- If yes, can you describe it here?
Have you considered how you will measure the impact your research can/will have on the wider community? What can you do to reach a wider audience?
Do you have an understanding of skills and confidence for working with and engaging industry? Have you discussed this with your supervisor(s)?
- If no, what courses or activities could you undertake to help you gain this experience and/or expertise in this area?
Have you had the opportunity to create ideas and identify opportunities internally and externally?
- If yes, using your examples can you reflect on the skills you have developed?
- If no, how important is it to you to recognize and act on opportunities?
- What activities could you undertake to help you gain this experience and/or expertise in this area?
Have you considered if there are commercial aspects of your research? How would you go about exploring this?
Explore available workshops