This is someone from outwith the University who will examine your thesis. If you are a member of academic staff, you will need to have two external examiners appointed to consider your thesis.

An external examiner will be a professor, reader or lecturer, or academic staff of an equivalent employment grade at another Institution. They should not have worked in the same department as you at any point, nor have been employed by the University whilst you have been a student.