Professor Yihdego has joined Aberdeen Law School in January 2013. He studied for an LLM. and a PhD. at Cambridge and Durham Universities respectively. He also earned an LLB (Distinction) from Ethiopia. He is a Co-director of the Aberdeen Centre for Constitutional and Public International Law. He held (2015/16) a Visiting Research Fellow position with the Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict, University of Oxford and a Senior Visiting Member at Linacre College, University of Oxford. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the UN Expert Group on the Firearms Protocol which supplements the UN Convention against Transnational Organised Crime 2000. In addition to serving as an expert Dr Yihdego also acts as a consultant for the Vienna based UN Office on Drugs and Crime. Before joining Aberdeen Law School he was a Senior Lecturer at Oxford Brookes University, a Tutor at Durham University and a Part-time Lecturer in Ethiopia. He has been researching and publishing on various aspects of public international law with emphasis on (conventional) arms control/trade, international humanitarian law, peace and security, democratic governance, development and human rights and the law of international watercourses issues relating to Africa. He is the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law (EtYIL, Springer) and serves as a monograph and textbook reviewer for Hart, Routledge, Brill and Oxford University press and article reviewer for a number of international journals. Professor Yihdego participates as a Principal Investigator in a 5.5 million Euro EU funded multidisciplinary research project concerning the governance of the Zambezi and Omo river basins (details here http://dafne-project.eu/) and collaborates on various projects with law experts, economists, hydrologists, environmental and political scientists and policy experts that are working in Africa, Europe and the US.
Dr Yihdego is interested in supervising research students in general international law, international humanitarian law, arms control law, peace and security law, African Union law and international watercourses law.
- Further Info
- Member of the United Nations Expert Group on the Firearms Protocol which supplements the UN Convention against Transnational ORganised Crime 2000.
- Consultant, UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
-Editor-in-Chief, Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law (EtYIL, Springer)
- External Examiner, Brunel University, School of Law.
-external examiner, Dundee University, School of Law.
Page 1 of 6 Results 1 to 10 of 51
- Yihdego, Z & Hawkins, S 2019, Identification of Water Governance Structures in the Omo-Turkana Basin: A Water-Energy-Food Nexus Perspective. vol. Milestone 57, European Commission.
- Yiallourides, C & Yihdego, Z 2019, Disputed Territories and the Law on the Use of Force: Lessons from the Eritrea-Ethiopia Case. in Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law 2018. Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law, vol. 3, Springer .
- Yihdego, Z & Hawkins, S, Cooperative Governance over the Zambezi River Basin: key findings from a legal review, 2018, Website, Blog, Social Media, The Newsletter of the DAFNE Project.
- Yihdego, Z, Desta, M, Merso, F & Belete, M (eds) 2018, Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law 2017. vol. 2, Springer , Cham, Switherland.
- Belete Hailu, M & Yihdego, Z 2018, The Law and Policy of Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection in Ethiopia: An Appraisal of Theories, Practices and Challenges. in Z Yihdego, MG Desta, MB Hailu & F Merso (eds), Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law 2017. The Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law (EtYIL), vol. 2017, Springer , pp. 13-47. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-90887-8_2
- Yihdego, Z, Desta, MG, Merso, F & Belete Hailu, M 2018, Towards Resolving Our Development, Integration and Security Challenges Through International Law. in Z Yihdego, MG Desta, MB Hailu & F Merso (eds), Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law 2017. Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law, vol. 2017, Springer , Cham, pp. 3-9. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-90887-8_1
- Yihdego, Z (ed.), Rieu-Clarke, A (ed.) & Cascão, AE 2017, The Grand Ethiopian renaissance Dam and the Nile Basin: Implications for Tranboundary Water Cooperation . Earthscan Studies in Water Resource Management, Routledge, London.
- Yihdego, Z & Hawkins, S 2017, Identification of Water Governance Structures in the Zambezi River Basin: A Water-Energy-Food Nexus Perspective. vol. Milestone 4, European Commission.
- Yihdego, Z, Right process in sharing Nile waters’, 2017, Website, Blog, Social Media, Aberdeenunilaw, Aberdeen University, School of Law.
- Yihdego, Z, The fairness dilemma in sharing Nile waters, 2017, Website, Blog, Social Media, International Water Law Project , USA.